Small or Large bolt pattern?

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
What the heck do I have here? it's neither 4" or 4.5". I've used the search function, and looked at the pictures that Bad Sport has posted, measurement is center to far tangent.

On a side note, I've measured the rim as 8" outside to outside, and I understand that the measurement is supposed to be taken from the inside bead, leaving me at 7".

I found a pic of the front side of the wheel as was requested.

So to conclude from everyone's input, I have 7 inch wheels with 5x4 bolt pattern. Thanks for all the brainpower! :burnout:

Now I gotta upgrade my bolt pattern to 4.5" so I can buy some wheels with a decent tire selection. All I can get now is pretty limited. :banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_180108-fabosize.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 713
  • wheels_on_car_01-500-375.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 566
Small bolt pattern. 4"
Imagine a circle going through the center
of all five wheel mounting holes. It would measure 4" across.

If it measures 8" total width (outside) it is a 7" wheel.

I agree, that looks like a 4" B/C.

Aaron, it appears to be 4", but really the 4 inch mark should be dead center of that hole.

Most of those aluminum slot-mags had the basic size cast on the inside surface somewhere.
There is another way to measure the bolt circle, but you need a caliper.And it's kinda complicated. you measure the diameters of the holes and add them together. Then divide that number by two.To that result you add the distance between the holes. Next you double that. And finally, you round the result to the nearest 1/4 inch. I told you it was complicated..........
I love slot-mags. To me they are the epitome of the period. Well, except for those ultra rare KHers. Those were killer looking.Well ok, not killer, but sweet!as the kids say.

...or just measure center of hole to center of hole across the way you did it in the pic...you never measure from the edge of a hole. OC means on center.

...or just measure center of hole to center of hole across the way you did it in the pic...you never measure from the edge of a hole. OC means on center.

Measuring a 5 lug pattern, you measure from the edge of one hole to the center of the third hole.

Attachments

• tech-boltcircle.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 474
Measuring a 5 lug pattern, you measure from the edge of one hole to the center of the third hole.

Well hell, I guess I stand corrected. Doing construction I was taught not to, I guess some engineer decided 4" was easier to remember if you measured it his way....lol...

It's confusing, because all of the rest are measured center to center.

Yeah, That was my original thinking before I started researching it... deck height... bore spacing... completely logical.

5 bolt wheels... :wack: it sounds screwed up enough that it would make sense to my mother in law.

Maybe neither SBP or LBP. From the tape measure, they look like a 4.25" bolt pattern. If you think Mopar, you think 4" or 4.5". My friend Google has pointed out many cars (mostly Ford products and some AMC) had 4.25" wheels. Your wheels were probably not made for a Mopar -- unless it was a 1990-1992 Dodge Monaco.

Fords and AMC had 4.5 bolt circle
same as large pattern Mopar.
I've never come across a 4.25 myself.
Those slot mags are small bolt pattern Mopar.
4"
Google must be misinformed on this one.

You could say most Fords and AMCs had 4.5" bolt circle and you'd be absolutely right, but not every one. What I meant to say was that most of the 4.25" bolt patterns produced came on Ford products. However most of the Ford products that I remember did have a 4.5" BC, just as you say.

There IS a 5 x 4.25 bolt pattern - used on Ford Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar models from the late '80s to late '90s, as well as the Taurus.

OP - pic of the front of the wheel? Maybe someone can ID it.

That old slot mag wheel was not removed from a late 80s or 90s ford whatever.
It came off a small bolt pattern a- body. 4" bolt circle.

Good to know. I think it's logical to assume to measure center to center. Had no idea the five lug pattern went rogue.

I hardly ever use the end of a tape measure because the rivets are always loose and will throw your measurement off. That's a 4" bolt circle.

There IS a 5 x 4.25 bolt pattern - used on Ford Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar models from the late '80s to late '90s, as well as the Taurus.
My '14 Fusion uses that bolt pattern. 4.25" or 108mm. Plus wheels with a 55mm offset. Try finding something that fits that car!

That old slot mag wheel was not removed from a late 80s or 90s ford whatever. It came off a small bolt pattern a- body. 4" bolt circle.

I didn't say what the wheel came from. However, I did clarify that there IS a 5 x 4.25" bolt pattern, for those who were doubting the existence of such a thing. Like you, for example.

Now that the OP has posted a pic of the wheel on a '68 Barracuda, the answer is obvious. However, there is something wonky with his tape measure. :D

4inBP2_zpsdqmbtudr.jpg

-
Back