Small to big wheel adapters

-

valiant62

Reaction score
Bought keystone 5 spoke wheels for the hornet and I decided that I dont like the look so i want to put on the Valiant. Are the adapters ok to run on the car, if i take it on road trips or something, like driving it across a state or two? Or should i just invest in upgrading to a bigger bolt pattern to run the wheels? Thanks

I suggest you upgrade to BBP and a disc brake kit. It's much safer than wheel adapters...

Bought keystone 5 spoke wheels for the hornet and I decided that I dont like the look so i want to put on the Valiant. Are the adapters ok to run on the car, if i take it on road trips or something, like driving it across a state or two? Or should i just invest in upgrading to a bigger bolt pattern to run the wheels? Thanks

I have a full set of 4 of these adapters if you're interested. $80 for the set...much cheaper than upgrading. one of my buddy's had these on his personal 1972 Duster for 5 years with no troubles. he scrapped the car for reasons of "rust". [email protected]

I have a full set of 4 of these adapters if you're interested. $80 for the set...much cheaper than upgrading. one of my buddy's had these on his personal 1972 Duster for 5 years with no troubles. he scrapped the car for reasons of "rust". [email protected]

I've got a set of BBP rallys I want to run on my dart and was planning to convert. How thick are the adapters? My current rear tires are pretty close to the inner fender. Just wondering, not trying to snake the parts from anyone.

here's a picture of what I have. small to large Mopar pattern.

wheel adaptors.JPG

most adapters are a little over an inch thick. me personally I don't like to run them for safety reasons.

Always heard that wheel adapters and spacers are bad news safety wise... don't do it! Or go ahead and do it... at your own risk.

Didn't someone on here have a wheel come off from a spacer? Sheered off the lugs or something?

Wheel adapters got a bad reputation years ago. Reason being, installers didn't insure the adapters sit flat against the brake drum. The outer diameter of the adapter may overlap a welded weight on the drum just slightly. If this is the case you will have to grind some of that weight away.
Adapters that are properly installed are not a problem.

Wheel adapters got a bad reputation years ago. Reason being, installers didn't insure the adapters sit flat against the brake drum. The outer diameter of the adapter may overlap a welded weight on the drum just slightly. If this is the case you will have to grind some of that weight away.
Adapters that are properly installed are not a problem.

I stand corrected I guess 8)

I'm comfortable with them on the rears, not so much on the front. Sort of like retreaded tires to me. Steering is critical.

I'm comfortable with them on the rears, not so much on the front. Sort of like retreaded tires to me. Steering is critical.

I can imagine people are quite skeptical of these thing's. back in 1990, I bought a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500, 428 Police Interceptor car that had a set of these on. with those, they had the big 5 on 5 Imperial wheels on... why ask why? I never ran the car myself with them on.

I would not use them. My dad used to run a pair on the rear of his '65 Barracuda. They were always coming loose.
Keystones will look good & they were made in 4" back in the day.

1962.jpg

I'd be wary of them. Although these seem to be better than what was on my 71 Barracuda when I bought it. The PO, (I won't get into his race but he was from Surrey so locals will understand), had installed a spacer behind both rear wheels, I guess to move the tires out for a better look. I, being a young buck, did not know this at the time of purchase. I still did not know it when, on second day of ownership was driving down the highway when one rear wheel went flying past me. At that speed, said spacers were nowhere to be found. Drove carefully for next few days, checking lugs daily. Couple days later, rounding a corner onto a side street, yup, other rear tire comes off. This time, at slow speed, I found the spacers. That's now two quarter panels damaged. It was all that I could do not to go back and smack some sense into the PO(S).

Barracuda.jpg

Alright so no adapters. looks like it will just had to deal with the stock steel wheels and maybe a set of dog dish plymouth hubcaps. at least until i can afford to upgrade

-
Back