smallblock headers - which ones?

-

Reaction score
Putting headers on my small block swinger. Any input about which headers you are using and/or likes and dislikes.... Fitment issues, do they hang too low? Whatever, I'd like to know.

Depends on how deep your pockets are. If you got the cash get the TTI's or Doug's. They fit above the steering linkage and doesn't hang low. Schumacker has new Tri Y headers out too that may fit better but probably will impede flow a bit.

D453 is the part number you want they come coated already.

I had chrome hedders once and hated them, too much heat. I like ceramic coated ! TTI's take a while to put on, every thing's has to be right. You may need a lift, if you don't and try, you will wish you did have one. I have one.

They fit, but are a pain. You may want to look at the installation instructions before you buy.

Don't know about Dougs, To do it all over, I'd pick Schumacher, the price is steep, but installation time is fast, and has to have fewer problems. Of course these aren't racing hedders, if that matters, but a lot better than manifolds.

I ordered my raw, saw how they fit, If I didn't like them, I could send them back because I didn't mess up the coating that you may wack up. Then I sent them out to an independent coating service. I've heard that TTI's coatings aren't the best. MY2 CENTS.

I have the summit headers on my duster, fit good hang a tad low.

I had summit headers on mine, hung way to low hit alot and I had to pound in the driver side to clear the steering linkage. Then I went with Headman block huggers and they are nearly impossible to get collectors bolted on the drivers side, this winter I have to figure something else out...

TTI and Dougs fit good I hear but cost big bucks. The cheap style headers that run under the linkage fit decent for the price but if your front end is low you might be scraping them, or if your pulling huge wheelstands. Oddly when I first installed the cheap headers i did not have to dent the tube for the steering but then i dropped in another 318 and it was hitting for some reason. There is also a set of shorty headers that fits but I don't remember who makes them maybe hedman? From what I hear they are easy to install. These are middle ground in price range.

I think if your looking for a coating that lasts, order the painted headers and find a reputable place to get them coated. I haven't seen many people doing well with what the factories put on.

depends on how deep your pockets are. If you got the cash get the tti's or doug's. They fit above the steering linkage and doesn't hang low. Schumacker has new tri y headers out too that may fit better but probably will impede flow a bit.

x2

I have Doug's.No dragging on the ground,don't rub on anything and easy to install.You might want to check out Sanderson,they make a shorty?midlength that looks interesting.My bro inlaw has them on his backhalfed,383 stroker S-10,nice quailty and cheaper than Doug's. Saderson DD7 is the model#

I have Doug's.No dragging on the ground,don't rub on anything and easy to install.You might want to check out Sanderson,they make a shorty?midlength that looks interesting.My bro inlaw has them on his backhalfed,383 stroker S-10,nice quailty and cheaper than Doug's. Saderson DD7 is the model#
Got em on my 72 dart, need to get new steering coupler though for them to fit. I like them.

I had summit headers on mine, hung way to low hit alot and I had to pound in the driver side to clear the steering linkage. Then I went with Headman block huggers and they are nearly impossible to get collectors bolted on the drivers side, this winter I have to figure something else out...

Did you look here ? http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=117019&page=4
Mine go under the steering , about 1/2 in lower than transmission pan , have not bottomed them out , at least no visible damage . Others further in the thread have them over the steering , so it can be done . I have 2 1/2 inch mandrel bend pipes , they flow really well . The shop that did them did it below the steering but the way they are curved up and inside then back makes them 1/2 inch lower that trans pan , not bad .
Look at all the pictures others have put up , you should be able to figure something out
dartsummer2011019-1.jpg

Anyone Have Any Experience With Flowtech Headers? Either Coated or painted?

Hooker, Flowtech, and Summit brand small block long tube headers are exactly the same... the only difference between the three is hooker puts there name plate on theirs and flowtech and hooker offer coated as well as painted.

-
Back