smallblock project with my dad

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
this is project i've been wanting to do for sometime. Its something I am glad me and my dad are getting to do toghether. its been great bonding time. heres a few sneak peaks into this machine. any guesses as to what it is? lol...
It is starting out with a 1971 360 block. its getting main studs and head studs. I can post more as we get along if anybody wants to see more. hoping to get cam installed this weekend, get it degreed and get all rotating assembly installed and finished. I decided to try one of these mopar chain tensioners. any thoughts on them?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 779
  • photo 1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 780
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 795
  • photo 3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 772
  • photo 5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 790
  • photo 4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 788
Nice,4 inch arm. The chain tensions ,are awesome. You won't ,regret it. How much camshaft? A 4" arm,and Eddy's like a lot of camshaft,compared to a 340/360.

Lots of nice stuff....cool...lol after retiring from being a mechanic all his life my dad won't even change his own oil....so kudos to you and your dad....

Very nice - Just a point I learned, if you are using head studs make sure your headers clear them. I did two builds where the headers hit the head studs, so had to grind.

I am running a lunati solid roller. .256-.265 duration .600 lift
Today got all the pistons installed. The cam installed and the chain tensioner installed.

well that's a lot of cam...lol looks great injoy your time together! my son helped me with the swinger and still dose sometimes, he is long gone with his own faimly know but I still cherish are hot rod time!! and look back with a smile!

I am running a lunati solid roller. .256-.265 duration .600 lift
Today got all the pistons installed. The cam installed and the chain tensioner installed.

Lunati makes some nice cams nowadays. Not far off,what I spec'd for a similar 408. That 4" stroke,eats up camshaft. Nice choice. Guessing worked Edelbrocks/W-2s.

Nice looking build. Looks all to familiar. Except I went w less cam.

I am building the same Scat 408 you are right now.
Question did your king rod bearings have offset to one another? What type of king bearing did they send you? The hp or the xp?
I received ford 351 main bearings instead of rod bearings. I couldnt send the kit back due to how long ago I had ordered it. So I called scat and they sent me the king xp bearings no directions as to uppers or lowers and they are not marked.
Way cool that you and your POPS are building an engine together.

I have been looking at this thread and I thought
it was about time I hit the keys :-D
Enjoy this time with your father, and it has been a few years for me and one of my sons to get together on an engine build 8) know watch him build :happy1:
Looks like a great small block monster you have going, Promps to your dad and make sure you tell him hello and what a fine job y'all are doing :cheers:

I am building the same Scat 408 you are right now.
Question did your king rod bearings have offset to one another? What type of king bearing did they send you? The hp or the xp?
I received ford 351 main bearings instead of rod bearings. I couldnt send the kit back due to how long ago I had ordered it. So I called scat and they sent me the king xp bearings no directions as to uppers or lowers and they are not marked.
Way cool that you and your POPS are building an engine together.

Id have to check the bearing numbers. But they were marked for the upper and lowers.

Glad you are enjoying my post memike
Thanks. I can't wait to take this thing out for a drive. Our first drag race is apr. 26 at St. Louis gateway raceway. Hoping to have it running broke in and ready.

Did you change springs on the heads? Looks like it, just asking.

Gonna degree cam tomorrow night. Then get head studs installed. Get heads on. Get rockers all assembled then installed and push rods measured.

-
Back