smallblock project with my dad

-
What's stock size?this one came off a big block Chevy a buddy was running.

78's ,all four corners out of the box. They list a 12.5 power valve,no way in hell. Depending on your idle vacuum, I'm thinking a 4.5 or 6.5 p.v
,would be in the ball park. FWIW,half the idle manifold vacuum, is a good starting point.

Would you stick with 78's to start or go a little bigger?

I would start ,out of the box. A friend ,has a 72 Duster. Similar build ,a 416. It ran great,with a 250/260 ish solid flat tappet cam . It worked well,for that combination( 10:1compression 4:30's out back). Every combination is unique, start with stock jets.

Well I turned it 6300 rpm tonight with the 750 carb. Wasn't real impressed. I feel the 360 runs better.
But I'm gonna try the 950 carb. Hope that makes a difference over the 750. Taking to the track on the apr. 26
Not sure what I'll do if it doesn't turn a better time than my old 360.

Well I turned it 6300 rpm tonight with the 750 carb. Wasn't real impressed. I feel the 360 runs better.
But I'm gonna try the 950 carb. Hope that makes a difference over the 750. Taking to the track on the apr. 26

408's pull,rather than RPM.... Yes ,I would try the 950.A new combination, takes time & tuning.

What gears & converter? 408's usually like less gear,than a 340/360 .....

Shift by feel,at this point... Learn the combination, first.
Are you running a log book yet? Might be an idea....

Well have about 50 miles on her. Time to change the oil and filter. Going to run 20-50 ams oil syn. Gonna re adjust valves. And get ready to go racing a week from this sat. I hope it at least out runs the 360. Which turned a best of 11.92

Log book as in a journal of all things I'm trying?
No I haven't.

Correct, track time & tuning expensive. Multiple adjustment's,wreak havoc . Log it,and you have a track record. A p.I.t.a,yes,saves you time & money in the long run.

Will post results of out come.
Any predictions?hoping for 10's.
Will be ok with a 11.20's

How the chassis reacts here,was my first thought. 11:20's-30's,with tire spin. Post a video & time slips ,if possible.

Car 60 fts 1.60 with the 360
No slicks on this car just some drag radials. Not sure my 29x10.5w will fit under it. They are on my dart right now.

6.5 high flow Pv in front with 81 jets.
88 jet in rear with Pv blocked.950 hp carb.
Car idles good. No loading.
Debating on going bigger yet.
Opinions? Turned it 6700 rpm lastnigjt open headers. Sounded good. I'll be tickled if she runs 10.99-11.20

Took a 750 off with 78-84 jets. Plugs were white

Times will tell... 11:20's-11-30's,off the cuff. Kinda scratching my head,on the blocked off P. Valve...(if as borrowed, mmehhh...).See how it runs,this is all depending on actual specs & assembly..(looked good,there!). I'm thinkin g a lower shift point,personally...).

-
Back