Smaller Power steering gearbox

-

Viper21700

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to find a smaller power steering gearbox? For those of us with power steering, I think a smaller box would be a godsend.. Seems like the factory gearbox eats up a heck of a lot of valuable real estate under our hoods.. Just wondering...

"The big thing" seems to be the Borgenson conversion. Only other thing I know of is to buy something like a HemiDenny or AlterKation front end, rack and pinion.

I tried researching that as well, only thing I can come up with is aftermarket units that are like 7 to 8 Benjamin's. They are supposedly based off of grand Cherokee gearboxes. (Flaming river, Borgeson etc.)

Now I did look at some of the Grand Cherokee's at the salvage yard and looked at some of the gearbox's. It is possible BUT (a big one at that) you will need to make (a lot) modifications to fit even then I'm not 100% sure it'll work right. I've been thinking long and hard about it too as those factory a-body gearbox's are not light either.

Judging from other cars I own, most power steering gears are similar size and weight. Indeed, my 84 M-B 300D gear box appears even heavier. Still, the A-body box is probably over-sized since the same PN was used in C-bodies. The Flaming River boxes look at least as heavy.

My 64 Valiant has a manual gear box. Not only is it smaller, the housing is aluminum. Putting it in that slant car (from top!) was 10x easier than putting the heavy power box into my V-8 Dart. Indeed, I had to raise the Dart engine 2" to work the gear box in from the bottom, and crushed a few fingers.

-
Back