Smart meters....

-
Ah. I'm in South Carolina so we'll probably see a dumbed down version in the next 10 years or so. What makes them "smart?"

They can read them without coming to your house.
They transmit every 1/2 so they know exactly WHEN you are using power and call it peak usage if between 1pm-7pm....thats when the rates go through the roof!

the old meters just read every month.

It's a new way for them to take MORE of your money.

smart meters...new electric meter on your house that monitors your electrical use and reports back to electric company......

Ah. I'm in South Carolina so we'll probably see a dumbed down version in the next 10 years or so. What makes them "smart?"

It monitors your use of gas and electricity so the State (or Province in Canada) know what your using during peak hours and ups the amount they charge during said hours. Some will even turn down your a/c in the summer because they assume you're at work and the house is empty.

Just a matter of time before the gub'mint controls how many squares you can use to wipe your butt after the morning constitution. Where will it end?

Wylde1.

Instead of the utility companies coming to read your meter every month it is
sent electronically to them.
We've had it for several years for our electric utility and the monthly bills
don't fluctuate like they used to.

Damn. Thats taking it a little far I think. Like I said, I dont think I'll have to worry about the Utility Gestapo getting here any time soon. The're still trying to teach the people to read the meters down here!

Instead of the utility companies coming to read your meter every month it is
sent electronically to them.
We've had it for several years for our electric utility and the monthly bills
don't fluctuate like they used to.

Do not fluctuate like they used to. That is how they got people thinking it was a good idea. Sort of like when they said they would tax all the smokers to pay for youth anti-smoking programs and the extra health care thats needed for smokers. Instead it was just another tax where the money was not used for its original intention. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's just the first one that popped in my head.

They have been using smart meters for water usage metering in the Atlanta area for a little while now.

I can't tell you how many investigative news reports they have covered concerning their rediculously expensive inaccuracies to some very angry residents who could not get their charges resolved without the help of the news watchdog groups.

I also heard that the EPA is going to start monitoring ALL water, including personal well water usage thus imposing charges accordingly.
I don't know all the details yet not do i feel like spending any time researching it on the web, but I am just repeating what i heard to day on the radio.

Before they installed them it was like every time the needed extra money
it would jump higher and when questioned about it they say we didn't get your reading on time so we estimated it.

So I think they screw themselves a little too. Because they couldn't do it ant more.

Now they're going to screw us big time they are asking the public utilities commission to grant them a large rate hike.

I've had them on the water,gas and electric meters here for a couple years. The gas meter supposedly phones home every day and the water and power transmit so that the reader picks it up as he drives down the street. Nothing really has changed except I noticed the water costs have gone down but that's probably because they replaced the meter with a new one. Yup no more BS estimates.

We have had them here for a little over a year, But I think they still drive close to the house to get there reading, and stay out of your yard and away from pet's, They still have reader's, They just stay in the truck or car.

-
Back