Smog Port Hole/Header Problem

-

dragnknights

Reaction score
I just put headers on my 78' 360. Problem seems to be that the header flages don't cover up the little smog port holes. So now I have a seriously nast exhaust leak. Any ideas on how to fix the problem/ fill the holes. I don't really want to take the motor out, and I don't really want to take the heads off either. Any ideas or experience would help. Thanks!

same thing happen to me on my 89 ram, i took the headers off and tapped each hole and put a 1/8 pipe plug with some loctite havent had any problems. good luck.

Taking the heads off to do the job described above is the best idea.
If you have a mig welder, you can try and weld them up in car.

Not sure if this is the way they came from the factory,but the holes in my 360 heads were already threaded. I just screwed in some plugs with high heat loc-tite.

You can buy the set of 76 360 heads that I have that are hot tanked, maged out and already welded up. :grin:

I just drilled and tapped with JB weld for a thread sealer and used 1/4-20 internal SS setscrews from homerepot. Once it set I ground them down in the porting process. Obviously, the heads were off.

I've actually picked up a van one day and this guy used aluminum foil from the kitchen to jamb up there and stop the leaks.
It worked.

there is no high pressure there...i've always sealed them with high temp rtv...never had a problem...

there is no high pressure there...i've always sealed them with high temp rtv...never had a problem...

my buddies told me the same thing... so .. thats what I did.. guess what? .. it failed.. LOL .. I live with the leak for now (its on the drivers side) .. next season I will fix the problem.. My hooker headers came with instructions on what to do with those holes, (without removing the heads) .. however I had already done the rtv thing so figured the hell with it.. LOL .. now I have to find those instructions...

Try J.B weld if the RTV doesnt work. I've never had anything with those heads on it, but I've used J.B weld to fix a few things, you wouldnt even have to take the heads off :)

did them on my 318 with a 1/4 20 tap and setscrews. Haven't fired it up yet though

I had the same problem whan I put a 360 into my '63 Dart and didn't realise the early manifolds don't cover the smog holes. As I didn't have any taps and didn't want to pull the car apart I just used some big self tapping screws and wound them in - the cast iron's pretty soft - it worked fine. Not the right way to do it but easy and effective.

-
Back