Smoke from under dash??

-

funhntt

Reaction score
My sons 73 duster (slant 6) had smoke from under the dash on his way to school. I found and replaced a section of 12 guage black wire just inside the fire wall on the inside of the car. Also found the same wire burned at the quick connect in the engine bay just behind the valve cover. I straight wired it to bypass the connection. The problem is im not getting any charge from the alternator now. I replaced the alter. and the voltage reg. and still no charge. amp meter shows nothing and the engine will kill when the pos battery cable is pulled. Im not skilled in electrical areas so it may be simple fix but im stumped. Any suggestions before I take her to the doc??

PS I changed the brake mast. cyl 2 days prior and did spill some brake fluid on the fire wall wiring while bleeding the brakes. don't know if this might have caused a short??

Thanks for helping CBT

Eliminate the ammeter by taking both wires off the ammeter and putting them both on one of the posts only. Big problem for these cars.

Pull apart the bulkhead connector on the firewall under the mastercylinder and check ALL of the connectors in it! Another big problem area.

Thanks, Ill try both of those ideas this weekend

well, i had the same problem with that same black wire. it wound up being that someone put a single feild altenator on a dual feed wiring harness. what is was doing is everytime the car would come off idle, and start to try and charge, it was just grounded out,a nd burning the wire up.. might want to check that

on the back of the alt, where the two push connectors go on, look on the casing of the alt, and make sure that of those say "feild"

Here's the latest. Bypassed amp meter and bulkhead. Checked altenator, it is a two feild connection and all wiring is correct. Gettin frustrated, my boy can't drive his baby.

Attachments

• DSC_6480.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 176
Think im gonna try a new wiring harness. Any oned used Evans wiring co. before. Yearone only has v8 wiring.:tard:

-
Back