Smoking 273, opinions?

-
The witness marks,IMO, do not support that

I have never changed the gaskets, I’m chasing problems that have manifested after buying the car. The bolts were good and snug none were loose. The gaskets were definitely the larger port 340/360 gaskets because I bought the wrong size to replace these, I bought felpro 1213’s and it needs 1243’s, 1243’s ports are 2.09x1.05 versus 2.27x1.16 on the 1213’s. Also, the corks were used and the pins were removed and there were no leaks on the ends.

Oh well, another trip down to summit to swap the gaskets.

I have never changed the gaskets, I’m chasing problems that have manifested after buying the car. The bolts were good and snug none were loose. The gaskets were definitely the larger port 340/360 gaskets because I bought the wrong size to replace these, I bought felpro 1213’s and it needs 1243’s, 1243’s ports are 2.09x1.05 versus 2.27x1.16 on the 1213’s. Also, the corks were used and the pins were removed and there were no leaks on the ends.

Oh well, another trip down to summit to swap the gaskets.

I try to use the pins and corks whenever I can, cuz the clean-up is so easy. But if the heads or decks were machined, this pops the intake up out of the valley. This causes misalignments all around the intake that all have to be corrected.Occasionally the pins and corks just gotta go.

Just make sure whatever intake you are using has enough meat on the bottom of the port to securely clamp the gasket against the head.

I try to use the pins and corks whenever I can, cuz the clean-up is so easy. But if the heads or decks were machined, this pops the intake up out of the valley. This causes misalignments all around the intake that all have to be corrected.Occasionally the pins and corks just gotta go.

Just make sure whatever intake you are using has enough meat on the bottom of the port to securely clamp the gasket against the head.

Yup, heads and intake have not machined and the fit was good, all bolt holes lined up well when removed, not anticipating any problems getting it to snug up nicely. It looks like the larger gasket ports may have hung below the intake a bit, either way the smaller port gaskets will be going on it.

FIXED. New intake gaskets, carb gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and all new hoses. Runs so much better and smoother and no smoke!

I haven’t beat on it just yet, still taking it easy to make sure all is good. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input!

27676249-F2B8-40AE-8B0B-B2EFA7DE889D.jpeg

-
Back