Smoking (bad for it's health)

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I start the car when it has been sitting a while it will smoke a little. It doesn't do it right away. It will run a few minutes then a little blue smoke for a few seconds then stop. It doesn't do this all the time. Only once an a while. It can go for a while without doing this. I did a compression test and they are almost all the same readings. It doesn't go though any oil. I thought it might be valve guides because my heads were shot. But it still does it with the brand new Edelbrocks. Is this something I should worry about? The motor has 39000 miles.

Fred B

Sounds like oil leaking by the valve seals or guides! But if you have new heads they should be OK! Maybe you have too much Crankcase pressure and that is pushing the oil by the seals or guides slightly!Is the engine vented really well with PVC valves and breathers!

Did you put these heads on as delivered or did you have a machinist check them out? Some engine builders (me included) like to use positive type valve seals on the intake and stock style on the exhaust. Reason being that that there is no negative pressure on the exhaust side and on a street driven car (read driven when cold out) the exhaust valve stem could use the extra lubrication when freezing cold. Setting up heads this way will give a little puff when fired up, but it is nothing to worry about. I use positive seals all the way around on race only engines.

I have no personal experience with the Edelbrock heads and don't know what they come delivered with (regarding valve stem seal type), but I have read of inconsistent valve guide clearance problems as well as sub-standard valve jobs.

Hope this helps.

They have positive teflon seals on all. The exh guides are sometimes a little tighter than I like to run them. (less than .001)

-
Back