Smoking my first brisket

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
Had Tasha trim the fat cap. Salt and pepper only. I have the brisket on the top rack of my Weber Smokey mountain 22.5. 20lb bag of charcoal foiled pan. Apple wood. All the vents closed rockin 244. Hopefully the coals will last 8-10 hours. I’ve got a rack of ribs under it. It’s been raining all day.

81AB66E5-2734-4D63-9D90-96D81B4C12DF.jpeg
D0E0D2A4-1937-4348-BC9B-FE79880066BE.jpeg

That's a great start! Brine it next time. It's a way of life.

That rain is good too. It'll help keep the moisture up and the temps down. Wouldn't hurt to let it get rained on directly. It'll stay cooler that way.

Damn, now I gotta do another.

It's an addiction just like anything else lol..... And if you end up with a killer brisket and feed it to a few people then your ego gets stroked and it's game on lol.... Nothing like it though and welcome to the club..... Smoked Bologna burgers seem to be my niche for some reason. Give it a whirl some time....

JW

Been smoking a couple years now on my ol' trusty Pit Boss. Brisket is my favorite. I use the same salt/pepper/garlic rub on chuck roast to shred for sandwiches.

66704615_2607394782607108_8574359545936084992_n.jpg

Salt, pepper and slow. Put it on early and low temp as you can get (200) let it get to 170 and then wrap! Bring it to 195 and pull it and let rest for an an hour or so in the cooler wrapped in bath towels. Patience is key. yum, yum!

Last edited:
I had a rack of ribs under it. Pulled them after 6 hours. When I finally got the brisket back on after wrapping it the temp spiked at 280. Shut all the vents and couldn’t get the temp down. Got done way to quick. The Thin end was very tough but the thick end wasn’t bad.

I think I used too much charcoal. I know the easy way out would be to use water in the water pan but I hate cleaning it up/refilling it.

I had a rack of ribs under it. Pulled them after 6 hours. When I finally got the brisket back on after wrapping it the temp spiked at 280. Shut all the vents and couldn’t get the temp down. Got done way to quick. The Thin end was very tough but the thick end wasn’t bad.

I think I used too much charcoal. I know the easy way out would be to use water in the water pan but I hate cleaning it up/refilling it.

Yes to hot and over done. Always learn we do!

Agree with the post that mentions 195 for brisket, that is right on.
For brines,,
Just enough liquid to cover the item, I brine about everything I put in the smoker anymore, adds flavor and moisture.
For the liquid,
Mainly water, add about 1/4 cup to 1/8 cup of course salt per quart, for flavor I have had great success with Korean BBQ sauce, but have also used Coke, the most recent brisket I smoked was brined in a root beer based brine. Add some black pepper corns, Cajun spices,,,brown sugar, molasses,,,
Let it set in the brine over night in the fridge. For bigger items like whole turkeys, I have a plastic 5 gallon pail that I pack with ice in the brine mix, and keep it in a cool place overnight. Brined a turkey in salted / peppered apple juice, then smoked it, was out of the park good.
I lightly rinse the meat after removing it from the brine, dry it lightly with paper towels, sprinkle on the dry rub, then on to the smoker.

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like my first attempt years ago. Don’t give up and watch the temp!

I did not cook another for many years but got back after it and now use the snake method on my Weber kettle and it works every time. 9 hours of cook time with this Method in double layer coals with my favorite wood chunks spaced along the way. Usually end up with about a third of the coals left for a 11lb brisket.

I always use a Thermometer just before I think it is time (stall time) then pull and wrap for the clutch with the meter still in. 195 and pull!

Last edited:
tell us more about your brine and how you do things i'm very interested .

Trim all your fat down to 1/2" or so. That's what sucks about a brisket, you toss half of what you buy, by weight no less. Buy from a meat store. Skip Sam's and Wally World.

I used a brine recipe that was about 2qt water, 1/2-2/3 cup salt, ditto brown sugar, and I added 2T garlic salt and 2T seasoned salt to boot. Boil the water to dissolve it all and cool, and use less salt if you like less salt. I usually separate the flat for brisket and use the remainder for burnt ends. Throw your brisket and ends in a large stainless stock pot and pour the water to full immersion. You might have to weigh it down, I used butter knives stuck in it to hold it and use the weight of the lid to keep it drowned. If you're feeling stabby, jab the meat a few times with a knife for better/deeper brine penetration before you brine it. Stash it in the fridge. After two days that meat will look like it belongs in some sort of crime scene re-enactment. It's fine, and soon enough waterlogged dead animal will make your mouth water.

Then smoke on the smoker, USE YOUR WATER BOWL, keep it near the heat and keep it full. I try to keep my temps about 180 on a verified thermometer (test it in boiling water). 10-12 hours or so for a 10 pound brisket (total with ends weight), but lower heat and longer time wins this race, like making love to your lady. The burnt ends I usually go 14 hours on a 5 pound hunk of burnt ends. I usually add smokin' wood once an hour for the first 6-7 hours, but if your meat leaves your tongue feeling numb, that's creosote and not good so back off ya smoke. Rainy days make better brisket (awaiting her comment, now...), especially if it's drizzly and the water gets on your smoker and pulls some heat out. I use a variac to keep my electric smoker low heat. In the summer, the full sun alone will carry it if you don't like a lot of smoke and you have a black smoker.

If you're doing pork at the same time, pull it off as SOON as it reaches your desired 'done' temp.

When the brisket has 2-3 hours left, pull it off, wrap in foil like a bowl, usually two layers, pour in a cold orange Shock Top beer and seal it up tight. Toss it back for the remainder. Don't let that beerjuice drain out.

When done, pull it, let it rest an hour, and drain that juice for a badass sauce on the sliced brisket. Slice thin, eat well, die happy.

I cheat, cook them wrapped in an oven at 350 for a few hours, then slap on the grill to crisp them, I like'um, sometimes I think people overthink this stuff, when the bones pull back about 1 to 2 inches, time to crisp'um. never had a stray dog turn'um down !

Water pan does a good job at keeping the heat consistent and the meat from drying out. Most of the smoke flavor comes in about the first hour.

So how big of a rolling paper does something like that take? Is it hard to keep it lit?

So how big of a rolling paper does something like that take? Is it hard to keep it lit?

takes about 40 packs of zig zags and a solid half a day to glue them all together. I've got a 500,000 btu weed burner that's helps keep it lit. It's a little harsh have to cannonball it.

ImpishMagnificentDiscus-size_restricted.gif

Mom said she could give me her BBQ receipe, but them she would have ot killme..... her only child... circa 1964

I still struggle.

Low heat is half of it.

bc3c33_76612a7571d14ea997e36beea66ab333~mv2.jpg

Mom said she could give me her BBQ receipe, but them she would have ot killme..... her only child... circa 1964

I still struggle.

Low heat is half of it.

Low heat is good. I should be able to hold my hand over the grill for a 10 count if I have the height right on our wood burners. It adds also to the BBQ experience, being the consumption of adult beverages :D

We looked at the pellet pits, the smokers and finally bought a heavy duty ketttle grill at Wall for like $70 I has 2 holders on each side for coals, to which we add soaked fruit wood chips, got the coals going, get the temp like 250 shut it down, did country style ribs and they were great. We used coals on just one side, not too many. The soaked wood helps keep the tem down. Poorman 's smoker.

225*? Making a career out of a Brisket? Just trying to warm it until it is done? If the link works go down to Bludawgs post. On the very rare occasion I cook brisket anymore this is how I do it. Fast & Hot, wrapped after 4 hours. Only thing missing is the hard as a rock "bark"....Hot and Fast. - The Texas BBQ Forum

Not trying to insult anybody here...but soaking the wood has been proven to be worthless, hold your hand to a count of ten? Huh? Pellets are for heating houses, not cooking on....unless of course you are cold smoking cheese...

I cheat, cook them wrapped in an oven at 350 for a few hours, then slap on the grill to crisp them, I like'um, sometimes I think people overthink this stuff, when the bones pull back about 1 to 2 inches, time to crisp'um. never had a stray dog turn'um down !

Bones in a brisket?

^^^^ I should have done a disclaimer. I am originally from SW Ga where pulled pork is real BBQ, I eat tomatoes sandwiches, also called BLT some places, and eat cheesy grits, even twice back cheesy grits, and shrimp coleslaw. !!!!!

To talk BBQ you must have to know what Brunswich Stew is, otherwise you are a wanna be!!??? hahahah ..Carry on..

I've done a lot of pork butts and ribs. I started out with baby backs and moved to st louis cut. Now I'm on spare ribs that I've been cutting st louis style. I am not a big fan of the cartilage but I think the spare ribs have better flavor.

I'm from the North

I like injecting my brisket in 1”x1” squares with beef broth I cut the fat. To a 1/4” and season with salt and pepper adding some paprika to give a little more colour. I put the flat into a tin foil pan with a layer of the fat in the bottom and the point right on the smoker I set the temp on my put boss at 225 for a fast cook but most the time at 200 and let it go until the internal temp is 203. You can cover the flat when the temp hits 175ish it quits taking smoke at that temp. The last one I did whole did not wrap and did not separate. I think with time I will get better at that it was still delicious

29C84041-494A-427F-A29B-EB95F27903AE.png

-
Back