Smoking problem fixed!

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
Look about feeling stupid! I have been having a problem with my Dart smoking at WOT. At half or three quarters throttle all was well, but when I punched it I could spray for mosquitos. I went over everything , but could not find a problem. I got a brain fart the other day and removed the air breather and went for a drive. It smoked a little, but not 10% of what it was!! I then had to admit that I was a dumbass that tried to save a little cash, but it did NOT work. My car has a K&N filter and I decided to clean it and use some spray oil that I had in stock. I have since gone out and bought the correct K&N kit to clean and oil my air filter!! Never did say that I was smart. Lesson learnt.

Sometimes short cuts will come back and bite you...

Glad that you found the problem and it was an easy fix...

IMO buying any air filter that K&N makes isn't smart.

Reason being ? Serious question.

K&N air filters have been known for years to not filter worth a crap. Think about it. In order to flow more air, you have to filter less. Less restriction=more dirt. No way around it. I wouldn't recommend a K&N air filter to my worst enemy. The cheapest POS paper element is head and shoulders above a K&N for filtering capacity. It's all in the marketing hype.

I remember when K&N first became popular.....you saw these little displays on the auto parts store counters with a paper element on one side and K&N on the other and were able to apply vacuum to a ball in a tube on each side. Of course the K&N side would lift the ball to the top.

IMO, if you are looking for that LITTLE BIT of power everywhere, you better have a race car. No way in hell does a street car need that junk. I would simply run filterless on a race only car. Not enough dirt and dust where concrete and asphalt is.

IMO, K&N air filters and filters similar to them are like Obama. One of the biggest frauds ever. I have heard people tout "But they last forever, all I have to do is clean it re oil it and go....huh huh huh" Well you're buyin K&N oil the rest of your life too. All for a filter that doesn't filter. LOL

But what do I know?

K&N air filters have been known for years to not filter worth a crap. Think about it. In order to flow more air, you have to filter less. Less restriction=more dirt. No way around it. I wouldn't recommend a K&N air filter to my worst enemy. The cheapest POS paper element is head and shoulders above a K&N for filtering capacity. It's all in the marketing hype.

I remember when K&N first became popular.....you saw these little displays on the auto parts store counters with a paper element on one side and K&N on the other and were able to apply vacuum to a ball in a tube on each side. Of course the K&N side would lift the ball to the top.

IMO, if you are looking for that LITTLE BIT of power everywhere, you better have a race car. No way in hell does a street car need that junk. I would simply run filterless on a race only car. Not enough dirt and dust where concrete and asphalt is.

IMO, K&N air filters and filters similar to them are like Obama. One of the biggest frauds ever. I have heard people tout "But they last forever, all I have to do is clean it re oil it and go....huh huh huh" Well you're buyin K&N oil the rest of your life too. All for a filter that doesn't filter. LOL

But what do I know?

Thanks...Makes sense....Like many automotive aftermarket parts the hype is worth more than the part.:cheers:

Well I do need to say my hands on experience with K&N is a bit more positive. About 1990 I went with a single Holley 830 double pump on my street hemi. Used one of those gold moroso air cleaners and a K&N filter. That Carb was brand new and Carb and filter stayed on that engine until I pulled it bout 2 years ago. I never saw signs of dirt getting past the filter. Plenty of dirt trapped by the filter. Think I cleaned the filter bout 5 times. Went thru maybe 1.5 cans of oil. This was over a 20 year period. That hemi was still strong until a valve started sticking and I pulled it. That filter I squeezed into an oval on a homemade base and lid and now it filters 2 750 double pumps on a tunnel rammed hemi I swapped in place of the old one. 20 years,not bad. Tell you what,my thing is with fuel filters,,,

Now that is a new one; glad it is fixed and good to hear the experience.

As far as my experience with K&N: I have used one for 15+ years on a turbocharged rally car; the air cleaner canister has openings to help flow and so the filter sees the direct air with all the dust that crops up from time to time; rally competition is a VERY dirty environment at times. I have not found any dirt anywhere: in the turbo compressor area, the intercooler or connecting hard pipes and silicon lines, or in the injection throttle body. I have found no evidence of dirt getting into the cylinders.

I do keep it well cleaned an oiled, and it gets more attention than a standard car. So perhaps any real issues that may have occurred come from poor installation or maintenance. Also, the filter is large for the engine size: 2.6L Mitsubishi Starion. Perhaps the lower air velocity per square inch of a large filter element helps.

I do have to add that I felt no real performance difference with either the K&N or a good paper element.

i've also heard K & N don't filter as well as noted, but you would need to be in a dirty/dusty environment to ruin an engine.
I think i read they were damaging turbo's on diesels using them in sand and gravel roads
but i don't know if it's true.
..they are pricy!

-
Back