Snap On MW120 MIG Welder

-
I am not sure why many of you insist that a 110 machine will not run .035. As long as the machine is working correctly and you are not trying to run it off of an extent in cord it will run it just fine and get plenty of penetration as long as you are not trying to weld 1/2 steel with it.
I wasn't gonna argue because I'm looking for help, but you're right. My Craftsman 120v is a 135amp and welds .045 just fine. Thanks for trying to clear that up.

Ok then let’s make some progress on this. Let’s start with shooting me a pic of the front of the machine so I can get an idea on the voltage adjustments you can make. Again it has been a few years since I had one in so I don’t remember what the set up is

Just throwing spitballs here but are you sure enough amperage is getting to the machine? If using an extention cord or plug that that may not be caring enough current. Since you have the feeding problem solved maybe try connecting to a different power source or outlet

Just throwing spitballs here but are you sure enough amperage is getting to the machine? If using an extention cord or plug that that may not be caring enough current. Since you have the feeding problem solved maybe try connecting to a different power source or outlet
Nope. No extension cord. I have it backed right up against the wall.

Ok will do. I am helping Kitty with some honey dos right this minute so it'll be a little while, but I can tall you it has infinite adjustable wire speed and heat controls which I like. It also has a selector for spot, continuous and stick welding and one more knob....I forget. But I'll get a picture of it in a bit. I thank you graciously for trying to help.

I am not sure why many of you insist that a 110 machine will not run .035. As long as the machine is working correctly and you are not trying to run it off of an extent in cord it will run it just fine and get plenty of penetration as long as you are not trying to weld 1/2 steel with it.
Yes, it’ll melt it and make a mess but that machine doesn’t have the open circuit voltage output to operate.035 and larger wires in their intended parameters. Any automotive work outside of a Mad Max creation can easily be handled by.030.

Yes, it’ll melt it and make a mess but that machine doesn’t have the open circuit voltage output to operate.035 and larger wires in their intended parameters. Any automotive work outside of a Mad Max creation can easily be handled by.030.
I don't disagree, but once again, it's welded decent with .035 wire and that's what it HAS NOW. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? I've tried the .023 off my Craftsman machine and it did the exact same thing, so I put that wire back on the Craftsman since I am doing exhaust work on my truck. It's not the wire size, ok? I appreciate all the input, but arguing over the wire size is a moot point since that's not the issue.

I don't disagree, but once again, it's welded decent with .035 wire and that's what it HAS NOW. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? I've tried the .023 off my Craftsman machine and it did the exact same thing, so I put that wire back on the Craftsman since I am doing exhaust work on my truck. It's not the wire size, ok? I appreciate all the input, but arguing over the wire size is a moot point since that's not the issue.
Yes, I understand the wire size is not the problem at hand, It sounds as if there’s some electrical issue inside to be diagnosed. Toplscuda sounds as if he has the skills to guide you through diagnosing that issue. Hopefully you can get it going again.

Yes, I understand the wire size is not the problem at hand, It sounds as if there’s some electrical issue inside to be diagnosed. Toplscuda sounds as if he has the skills to guide you through diagnosing that issue. Hopefully you can get it going again.
That's how I'm leaning at this point.....but honestly, I'm open to suggestions up to and including dumbass operator error. LMAO

That's how I'm leaning at this point.....but honestly, I'm open to suggestions up to and including dumbass operator error. LMAO
I think dumbass operator error has been eliminated. Lol. I doubt it will help but my dumbass would try and clean the potentiometer for the heat selection.

You said it! LOL Get your multimeter out and take the gun apart. Check for voltage through the switch. I have replaced many. Check for current at the contactor. I have replaced a few of those as well. The nozzle switch has to start the wire feed motor and engage the relay to lite the fire. Check your ground connections especially at the clamp. Like booster cables, that connection can go south.

I think dumbass operator error has been eliminated. Lol. I doubt it will help but my dumbass would try and clean the potentiometer for the heat selection.
Caint hurt!

Ok then let’s make some progress on this. Let’s start with shooting me a pic of the front of the machine so I can get an idea on the voltage adjustments you can make. Again it has been a few years since I had one in so I don’t remember what the set up is
Sorry, I plum forgot the picture. Been workin in the house all day. I'll get it here shortly.

Here it is.
WELDER.jpg

WELDER1.jpg

Inside the gun you have the liner & the Conductor a lot of problems we find is the copper conductor fails where it bends constantly causing the current to go through the liner welding the mig wire on its way through ,I test the gun conductor by taking the liner out if possible & momentarily touching the input brass fitting & the mig tip across the terminals of a 12 volt battery to make sure the conductor is good the other way if you have a stick machine use the mig cable as the ground welding cable to make sure all the current is passing through it may involve holding the gun against the work terminal & piece of test material

.035 solid wire is too big a wire for a 110 volt MIG welder. I dont see any practical reason to run that heavy a wire in that machine
Ive been down this road with guys who think they know everything because they can stick two pieces of metal together and call it a day

The duty cycle alone of a 110 machine would make it impractical. Simply put there is not enough amperage output in a 110 volt machine
Short circuit arc MIG in it of itself isn't the strongest weld, no experienced competent welder I know uses short circuit MIG in anything that requires any kind of high strength

-
Back