Sniper on a big block stroker

-
As a follow-up to the original poster. My sniper setup is running great so far. I did the Tanks, tank and in-tank fuel pump. It starts right up cold and idles well, loads of power and great throttle response. I probably only have a few hundred miles on everything.

I run a 383 with 9:1 compression, small hydraulic roller. It makes 400 HP @ 5100 and 436 FT/lbs torque @ 4300 on the dyno with a quickfuel 850. I didn't run it on the dyno with the sniper.

Garth

Its been some time now, has anyone tried using the 4500 sniper yet ?

As a follow-up to the original poster. My sniper setup is running great so far. I did the Tanks, tank and in-tank fuel pump. It starts right up cold and idles well, loads of power and great throttle response. I probably only have a few hundred miles on everything.

I run a 383 with 9:1 compression, small hydraulic roller. It makes 400 HP @ 5100 and 436 FT/lbs torque @ 4300 on the dyno with a quickfuel 850. I didn't run it on the dyno with the sniper.

Garth

Nice combo. What intake? Holley recommends a single plane. Sniper is in the works for my B body project.

I'm running the Edelbrock Performer RPM.

Guess it's working for you well enough but from what I've read on various forums using a dual plane intake creates distribution issues. Not sure exactly how to ascertain something like that is actually happening unless you had 8 individual 02 sensors... Did you remove the center divider? Are you using a spacer?

I ask because I have a low deck Performer RPM on hand but I'm not sure it's worth cutting up just to work with the Sniper. Looking into a Holley Street Dominator as well which is a low-rise single plane.

If a dual plane intake works okay with a carb then it will work okay with a throttle body setup like a Sniper. Next time you see someone on a forum saying a throttle body won't work on a dual plane intake ask to see their test data. A lot of people just repeat stuff they heard but they don't actually test anything themselves.
DSC_2626 (Large).jpeg

It’s the dividing wall.....now if you have a cut/slot in it, your good. My dads 440/505 has the Eddy Performer RPM and it does have the cut out.

Guess it's working for you well enough but from what I've read on various forums using a dual plane intake creates distribution issues. Not sure exactly how to ascertain something like that is actually happening unless you had 8 individual 02 sensors... Did you remove the center divider? Are you using a spacer?

I ask because I have a low deck Performer RPM on hand but I'm not sure it's worth cutting up just to work with the Sniper. Looking into a Holley Street Dominator as well which is a low-rise single plane.

If a dual plane intake works okay with a carb then it will work okay with a throttle body setup like a Sniper. Next time you see someone on a forum saying a throttle body won't work on a dual plane intake ask to see their test data. A lot of people just repeat stuff they heard but they don't actually test anything themselves.
View attachment 1715247543

It’s the dividing wall.....now if you have a cut/slot in it, your good. My dads 440/505 has the Eddy Performer RPM and it does have the cut out.

rmchrgr, Its not what the fuel injection wants it's what the engine needs. My cam is quite small (217/225 @ .050) and fits well with the Performer RPM's rpm range as well as my head flow. I asked Holley about all this before I built the engine and bought the sniper and they said build the engine combo how it should be built and put the sniper on it. My RPM had a notch cut out of the plenum divider (which is designed in by Edelbrock). I also chose the Performer RPM because I wanted that shock(ish) look...

Oh also a lot of guys like to run a spacer with the Sniper to get rid of the whistle it can make at part throttle. I'm not running a spacer currently though, I like the whistle.

168203158.jpg

Thanks

Garth

View attachment 1715247543
First thing I`ve ever heard you say that I don`t agree with. Will it work/ DEFINITLY, Is it the best / depends on the engine out put and intake needed , both on the same 500 horse or over engine I still think the single plane is best . My 8 injector throttle body is bigger than the opening in a rpm intake --------

Yep, I was going by things I have read which clearly I was misinterpreting. You know I've been asking a lot of questions about the Sniper. For whatever reason, that idea about needing a single plane intake was stuck in my head. That particular question comes up a lot though, right or wrong.

Regardless, I went back and read up on this some more to make sure I understood the facts better. Holley does not 'recommend' a single plane to work with the Sniper so I stand corrected on that. If you read the Sniper Quick Start Guide, under engine requirements (first section) it says right there in black and white;

Engine Requirements

Before moving forward with the installation, please verify your vehicle meets these engine and fuel system requirements
Engine is in sound mechanical condition
Engine horsepower is between 200 -650 hp
Engine is a naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, etc.) 4, 6 or 8 cylinder
Engine has a 4 barrel, 4150 style flange intake manifold*
Unleaded fuel only
Any RTV silicone sealants used on the engine are sensor safe

*Any 4150 flange intake manifold will work. Make sure to use proper gaskets to seal the throttle body to the intake manifold and ensure that there are no vacuum leaks."

Guess that should answer the question fairly definitively. That little bit of info is essentially telling you that however your combo was pieced together, as long as it's working OK before you put the Sniper on then the style of intake wont matter. If you build your combo to work best with a dual plane intake, for all intents and purposes, the Sniper won't care. Case in point, the OP's combo seems to be just fine with that intake.

The one thing I did see a lot when I went back and read some more is that many do use a spacer. Cutting down a dual plane intake divider also seems to be common practice in relation to installing a Sniper but I'm not sure exactly how you would determine its necessary. Like the intake question, I suppose if it was needed before the Sniper then the same would apply. Or perhaps if the divider was full height then it may interfere with something on the throttle body baseplate? I dunno. I won't wager any guess as far as air velocity, intake signal, plenum volume etc. Maybe it doesn't matter unless your application presents some condition that could only be resolved by milling the divider down. Perhaps a spacer would eliminate whatever issues the full height divider was causing anyway.

-
Back