SNOBS

-

RON B

Reaction score
Read MRGTX'S thread on the guy who should have kept his opinion to himself when it came to pointing out flaws in someone's ride. It brought back memories for me. I've been an auto body repair man for a long time. I enjoy mostly restoration and am not afraid to restore almost anything. Like most people the 1st couple of years of marriage and having kids is rough. always worked two jobs and still worked on cars at my home. Sorry to say this is a Chevy story but I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. Anyway. Left one job to go to the higher paying job. Worked the 2nd job for a year or so when a flat bed pulled in with a 65 Impala Super Sport Convertible. I looked like someone took a grinder with 36 grit to strip the paint then primed it with spray bombs. The guy I was working for wanted to buy it. Beat him to it. Paid like $350 for it. Lost that job for obvious reasons. No great loss. The pass owner must have big dreams and no money. The grinding disc went flat while he tried to strip it. The paint came off easily and there was no damage to the sheet metal. Took me two other part cars to build it to a 20/20 car. It was a driver but it looked good. Anyway friends said I should put it in a show. Never tried that before and entered the car. I parked next to another 65 Impala Super Sport. Mine was rallye red. His was maroon. An older woman came by and said look identical cars. The other guy was a snob from the beginning like he was better than me. He said to her "I prefer my Super Sport with a four speed". I had an auto. Instead of coming at him right away I asked what motor he had. He said 327/300 horse. I said same with me. I couldn't let that 4 speed remark go without busting his balls. He was putting down his top when I saw him winding down his windows. I said to him thought all Super Sports came with power windows as I put mine down. He pulled his keys out to open his trunk. I asked I thought all the Super Sports had power trunk releases in the glove box. No A/C. Ok, I made my point with him. But, your going to love this. I live in a small town with a lot of relatives. When they started giving out trophy"s they called the People's Choice Award. Guess who got it? I didn't stuff the box. I think there were only 7 votes. None were mine (I swear). There's more. The owner of the Super Sport was screaming something. I didn't give a ****. He was a DB. Enough said. There's more. The owner of the body shop I quit had a 67 Lemans all cherried out. He didn't win his best in class or a trophy. The small town news paper did a story on the show. It was mentioned that I saved the car from the boneyard and it took me two other cars to build it. I shouldn't have won, but I did. I did nothing to make sure I won. But the best thing was blowing off the DB with the S/S. To be perfectly honest I thought his car was nicer than mine.

My Brother in law was so embarrassed to take his 55 Coronet with the OE yellowed clear plastic seat covers to a show with a bunch of really nice cars that he parked it and left.
He came back at the end of the show to find a trophy sitting in the front seat.

My Brother in law was so embarrassed to take his 55 Coronet with the OE yellowed clear plastic seat covers to a show with a bunch of really nice cars that he parked it and left.
He came back at the end of the show to find a trophy sitting in the front seat.
TrailBeast, That's a great story. It's really cool for the real stuff to be appreciated like that.

Great story.
Thanks for sharing.

Yet another reason I go to the car shows and just look. Never enter any of my cars. People are a$$holes.

-
Back