Snow tire recommendations

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for snowtires for Loris daily driver Hyundai Elantra. Approx 200 miles per day.
Suggestions?
Thanks

Check into any with studs if legal in your area & siping as well.

Looking for snowtires for Loris daily driver Hyundai Elantra. Approx 200 miles per day.
Suggestions?
Thanks
What is the avg. ratio of the roads being cleared vs snow covered for the majority of Her driving for the season? If the roads are cleared at least 50% of the time or more,
I'd stay clear of studs, they provide un-safe traction on dry/clear roads comparatively, and will wear down & lose their effectiveness quickly with that much driving.
OK, see that......not allowed anyway,...OK... advice still goes to anyone else in the same boat. Next, where are You shopping, local or say Tire Rack?

Appreciate the input. 6 lane highway/freeway for 65-75 % of her drive. Highway 401 North side of Lake Ontario.
Loris son works at a tire shop (local) but wondering which is preferred, withi our budget.
Here is the list Bridgestone Blizzak,
Michelin X-Ice X12, Firestone Winterforce, Toyo Observe GSI-5.
This is what is available from her sons shop. Preferences from these 4?
Thanks all!
What is the avg. ratio of the roads being cleared vs snow covered for the majority of Her driving for the season? If the roads are cleared at least 50% of the time or more,
I'd stay clear of studs, they provide un-safe traction on dry/clear roads comparatively, and will wear down & lose their effectiveness quickly with that much driving.
OK, see that......not allowed anyway,...OK... advice still goes to anyone else in the same boat. Next, where are You shopping, local or say Tire Rack?

i dont know if it is advertising or actual knowledge, but bliztac is the only snow tire i know

remind me in the morning to check in the shed, i had a set of winter rims for the charger with snow tires on them
they have been good to me and lasted 4 or 5 seasons already and still look great (dont be surprised it they turn out to be cheap toyos or hankooks though)

From what I've read(and it is just that), the Toyo is an excellent tire for the $$$, and is only somewhat substandard in turning/side-grip compared to the Blizzak & X-Ice.
The new Firestone Winterforce 2 is an improved version of a decent tire, I'm just not big on snows that are too "directional", as any occasion to back up that works
against You on some level. So really, straight-line perf. is excellent stopping & starting w/the Toyo, the Winterforce is a very good tire if You don't have to back up a long
hill, and the other two sit at the top basically. All of them are gigantic leaps over suffering with all-seasons, so any choice is a plus here. I have GY Ultra Grips on the 'rolla,
they're not terrible, & they are directionally stable, but the forward grip is not the best compared to others I've driven. BFG Winter Slaloms are awesome on My Friends
RAV4, they were on Her Grand Caravan ES FWD and went/stopped fantastic, but not sure what sizes & availability are out there now.

I have had good luck with a snow tire called "arctic claw" pretty sure Cooper makes them.. and the last set I had, had the holes if you wanted to stud them..
Btw I live in northern Ontario and we are allowed studded tires here..

Thanks guys. I think this coming winter will be the 4th winter for them, they're Coopers and she doesn't like them. 200, 000 kms on the car, so probably 80-100 kms on them. She does 3-4 hours driving every day so I want her safe and happy obviously. Also if she says no to some tires I gotta go with it lol
Ive had Hankooks and the sidewalls were like jello.

So Cooper and Hankooks are out
Yeah, I was going to mention Falls Mastercraft makes Glacier Grip II's, made in same Findlay OH plant as Coopers are, go great but handle pretty squirmy....................

Yeah the Sask winters are a good test eh Kim?? Lol
Snow there yet?

Thanks Ddaddy, kinda along the lines I was thinking initially. But Ive no experience with them

Hey Steve, Patty loves the General Altimax Artic. There a wonderful tire. She has been using them since about 07 or so. Kim

Blizzak first, Winterforce second. Both are good.

Yeah the Sask winters are a good test eh Kim?? Lol
Snow there yet?

Thanks Ddaddy, kinda along the lines I was thinking initially. But Ive no experience with them
Almost forgot to ask, You are doing all 4 right?

Mastercraft makes(made) a tire that was a copy of the blizzak.When I worked at Saturn we sold a ton of them.The techs that used them thought they were as good or better than Blizzaks and they lasted as long as well.

I have been running the Michelin X ice on the charger every winter now since we bought it. First winter we had it we got a lot of snow and never had an issue getting around in it at all

I have been running the Michelin X ice on the charger every winter now since we bought it. First winter we had it we got a lot of snow and never had an issue getting around in it at all
Any suggestions for 20" snow tires for our pick ups ???

They make the x ice in a 20" diameter. The blizzak would also be a decent choice. I picked up a cheap set of 18" steel rims to run the winter tires on and save the chrome rims from the salt.

They make the x ice in a 20" diameter. The blizzak would also be a decent choice. I picked up a cheap set of 18" steel rims to run the winter tires on and save the chrome rims from the salt.
How much ?

Another vote for Blizzaks. We sell a TON of them at the dealership every year when the first bad snow hits.

upload_2017-10-14_9-14-23.png

-
Back