Snubber for Duster

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
Got a 70 Duster. Got this snubber here on the forum. Just want to make sure it will fit for daily driving. Looks like it is tall enough for racing only.

The adjustment may be the highest one for racing and the lowest one for driving... But I'm not sure. Just want to be sure.

Snubber on A Bodies.jpg

I have a couple of stock 8 3/4" snubbers, and that one is way taller than any of them.

For street driving, set the rubber piece about an inch away from the pad over the rear axle. It will live there & will work well for street applications. If you go to the track, set it as close to the pad as possible to help with your launch.

Thanks,

I thought it looked a bit tall. I should consider that the rear end is lifted about 3" from stock with air shocks. I forgot to mention that, but yeah, I thought I saw a stock one and it was way shorter than this one. I guess I just have to see if it will fit by the good ole' trial and error method. I should be able to control how high it is from the rubber bumper to the pad with the air shocks, I think. Plus the adjustment pin in the snubber.

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of racing, but I will either lower the shocks or raise the snubber when I do.

If it’s raised that much with air shocks you should start planning on how you’re going to repair the shock mounts when they tear out of the floor. The shock mounts were never intended to carry the weight of the car.

If it’s raised that much with air shocks you should start planning on how you’re going to repair the shock mounts when they tear out of the floor. The shock mounts were never intended to carry the weight of the car.

I have had the rear sitting as high as it is in the picture to the left of here for 15 years now with no problem. The leafs are helping the shocks out. I don't know how the height of this snubber is going to work with my set up. Do you suppose this snubber is too tall? It is at its lowest setting. I just don't want to go through getting under the car only to find out that it is 6" too tall.

Thanks

Got a 70 Duster. Got this snubber here on the forum. Just want to make sure it will fit for daily driving. Looks like it is tall enough for racing only.

The adjustment may be the highest one for racing and the lowest one for driving... But I'm not sure. Just want to be sure.

View attachment 1715683914
This is a proform brand with car on jack stands, and new 6 leaf springs and shocks. Lowest setting. I'm going to shorten it 1 "

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.JPG

mechanicmark, I'd leave the snubber where you have it set per pictures. That is just about perfect for a street car IMO. The only thing I might do if it were mine would be to weld a piece of 1/4" plate 3" x 3" where the snubber contacts the underside of the body & trim the rubber down 1/4". Just a suggestion as that's how I ran them on my street cars.

The thought had crossed my mind to cut one of the adjustment holes off the bottom of the center piece and a hole off the top of the outside piece. But there are not that many huge bumps around here for me to worry about it hitting when I am driving normal. Unless I fly over a speed bump, which is really a slow bump, I think that will be okay.

I super appreciate the pics though.

mechanicmark, I'd leave the snubber where you have it set per pictures. That is just about perfect for a street car IMO. The only thing I might do if it were mine would be to weld a piece of 1/4" plate 3" x 3" where the snubber contacts the underside of the body & trim the rubber down 1/4". Just a suggestion as that's how I ran them on my street cars.

I like the idea of adding a 1/4" plate. How many horses pull the car that you welded the plate to?

Pics were after installation of everything, bottoms out on **** Iowa roads, can't even raise to next hole without lifting body weight up, then solid contact.

IMG_0086.JPG

The welded plate will keep the snubber from putting a huge dent in the sheet metal when the snubber contacts the underside of the body on hard launches. Ask me how I know.

If you go to the track, leave it at home. It wont do anything positive.
Really? Won’t help with the keeping the pinion angle at the ideal (angle) on launch? Won’t help with forcing the tires into the pavement at all? Assist with the cars rear raising all the while? Of all the suspension books on how to properly set up the “factory” Chrysler leaf spring rear for drag racing Ive never read that the pinion snubber won’t do anything positive. We are talking using factory parts correct?

I'm with you 12many, when I first started in Mopars & found out about pinion snubbers I threw away the old slapper bars. They have been proven to work many times over the last 50+ years.

I'm with you 12many, when I first started in Mopars & found out about pinion snubbers I threw away the old slapper bars. They have been proven to work many times over the last 50+ years.
All I need to really know is that Sox & Martin as well as the Ramchargers used them with great success up to a level of performance where the whole rear suspension had to become a totally different setup. I’ll never get to that point with my junk and don’t want to for that matter. If they could do it for the et’s they ran it’s good enough for me.

Really? Won’t help with the keeping the pinion angle at the ideal (angle) on launch? Won’t help with forcing the tires into the pavement at all? Assist with the cars rear raising all the while? Of all the suspension books on how to properly set up the “factory” Chrysler leaf spring rear for drag racing Ive never read that the pinion snubber won’t do anything positive. We are talking using factory parts correct?

all i know is my 9 sec Duster on Superstock springs didnt like it
No racing buddy i know uses a pinion snubber. I know a lot of guys

Last edited:
Sometimes we all have to remember there are people that have setups that are faster as well as slower than what others may have. I’d never expect someone to run in the 9’s with the factory parts no matter how dialed in one could get it. On the other hand a guy running in the 11’s and up could do just fine with the factory parts, and again just has to know how to dial it in properly.

Sometimes we all have to remember there are people that have setups that are faster as well as slower than what others may have. I’d never expect someone to run in the 9’s with the factory parts no matter how dialed in one could get it. On the other hand a guy running in the 11’s and up could do just fine with the factory parts, and again just has to know how to dial it in properly.

Ask Dave Dudek( fastest “ Fast” car) if he used a pinion snubber on his Roadrunner. Just sold it last year, raced it forever.
factory appearing, stock tire champ for years.
Hint..he threw the snubber in the garbage can

I did not have an adjustable snubber when bracket racing, but used the Mopar front control arm snubber on the differential (see photo #3), along with some C channel stuff on the floorboard to make up the difference (see photos #1 & #2: photos are similar but not exactly what I used).

The pinion snubber in the last two photos was recently made wrong because it will obviously interfere with the driveshaft (photo #4). I guess my fabricator did not understand my instructions, so I will have to take it back for some revisions.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 2.47.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 2.48.38 PM.png

snubber 3.JPG

snubber 2.JPG

Ask Dave Dudek( fastest “ Fast” car) if he used a pinion snubber on his Roadrunner. Just sold it last year, raced it forever.
factory appearing, stock tire champ for years.
Hint..he threw the snubber in the garbage can
Come on man! All that is of little value or relatable here without ET and 60 foot times. The OP hasn’t stated what his car does at the track or that he’ll ever get to the track for that matter. I ran 11.75 with 60’ times of 1.58 with my van, yes a different animal than an A-body but same suspension, on factory 1/2 ton springs, a pinion snubber and QA1 da shocks front/rear (ok, the shocks aren’t factory!) Thing dead hooks on MT ET drag radials. Rear raises good, the pinion angle is under control and the tires get driven into the track. Front raises the straight axle to its limits and ive gotten air. I don’t need anything else, don’t need to pitch it all for Caltracs or ss springs etc. maybe if I get close to the 10 second threshold I will. But that may not be of any value or relatable for the OP either :eek:

Come on man! All that is of little value or relatable here without ET and 60 foot times. The OP hasn’t stated what his car does at the track or that he’ll ever get to the track for that matter. I ran 11.75 with 60’ times of 1.58 with my van, yes a different animal than an A-body but same suspension, on factory 1/2 ton springs, a pinion snubber and QA1 da shocks front/rear (ok, the shocks aren’t factory!) Thing dead hooks on MT ET drag radials. Rear raises good, the pinion angle is under control and the tires get driven into the track. Front raises the straight axle to its limits and ive gotten air. I don’t need anything else, don’t need to pitch it all for Caltracs or ss springs etc. maybe if I get close to the 10 second threshold I will. But that may not be of any value or relatable for the OP either :eek:

Dudek’s Roadrunner ran 9.80’s on factory polyglass tires. At 4000 pounds. Think he was in the 1.50’s
Didnt think there was anybody in the entire Mopar community who didn't know the car.
Look, do what you believe in, i have never used a snubber at the track in 45 years of racing A body’s.
Your results may differ. Cool for you

Dudek’s Roadrunner ran 9.80’s on factory polyglass tires. At 4000 pounds. Think he was in the 1.50’s
Didnt think there was anybody in the entire Mopar community who didn't know the car.
Look, do what you believe in, i have never used a snubber at the track in 45 years of racing A body’s.
It’s all good! I’ll leave this as my last word and I’m done.

all i know is my 9 sec Duster on Superstock springs didnt like it
No racing buddy i know uses a pinion snubber. I know a lot of guys
Really? All I know is my 71 BB Dart drag only would Hit so hard even with 002/003 SS springs the axle would rap so hard the housing dented the front of shocks! After the adjustable snubber was installed, problem solved. Car ran 9.20’s.

You may want to inspect your shocks?

-
Back