so about those new US indy slotted mags...

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
im thinking of finally buying some new wheels, retiring the terrific looking 14X10s with N50s, and going with some 15X8s
(im running a stock 8.75 with small bolt pattern...anyone know what backspacing i need for my 71 duster)

MHT U10115805445: U101 Indy Cast Aluminum Wheel Size: 15" x 8" | JEGS

now the "problem" is they only seem to offer them in a polished version, which wont match the fronts (im planning on keeping the 14X6s there) and i just plain dont like the look

has anyone been able to get US mags to get them a non polished set, or found a way to return them to the way cooler looking dull, as cast finish?

Last edited:
Strip the clear coat off them. They'll be dull as can be in no time.

you suppose there is a clear coat on there?
US mags lists them as "polished"

i recently purchased a set i really dont think they have clear coat on them, just seem to have a very high polish job id imagine you could wet sand them, why not try to polish the front to match the new rears? just a thought i personally like them looking a little dull myself, so ill probably just wait till they naturally lose some of their shine

presser washer acid!! idk proper name but every body runs a presser washer use's it,..leave bright polished aluminum dull and white'ish as it drys...ask any truck driver you know why the blue becon truck wash called the streaking becon!!

You might try contacting Detroit Vintage Wheels Acutal Vintage Wheels Custom Restored & Made in the USA. They might be able to match up the exact brand you already have but in the size you're looking for.

ill give those boys a call tomorrow, would be nice if they had something i could use

presser washer acid!! idk proper name but every body runs a presser washer use's it,..leave bright polished aluminum dull and white'ish as it drys...ask any truck driver you know why the blue becon truck wash called the streaking becon!!

never heard of it
would this be something i can get a hold of easily?

and i wonder if it wouldnt make it too white?

make it as white as tank and steps on this truck....

green pete5.jpg

cool
and it doesnt affect the rest of the car?

i wonder if i should order the wheels, slap some tires on there and drive the car to some place that can acid wash them

cool
and it doesnt affect the rest of the car?

i wonder if i should order the wheels, slap some tires on there and drive the car to some place that can acid wash them
yes wont hurt car at all just dull ya aluminum!! brown derby is name of stuff for presser washer where ever people buy them supplys...

i recently purchased a set i really dont think they have clear coat on them, just seem to have a very high polish job id imagine you could wet sand them, why not try to polish the front to match the new rears? just a thought i personally like them looking a little dull myself, so ill probably just wait till they naturally lose some of their shine

what type of lugnuts do they take?
can you use your stockers, or do you need to get those silly "tuner lugs" ?

i was able to use my stock conical lugnuts, but they are a little difficult to get started, seems like the mounting hub on the rim is significantly thicker than my stock steel rims, so if anything depending on your setup you may consider longer studs, theyre not at all required, but at least in my case, they would make mounting and unmounting the wheel and tire much easier as i could then "sit" the tire on the studs, instead of having to hold it in place, while i get a few lugs started, i just installed new wheel studs along with the the whole new 8 3/4 rear, so ill probably just live with it for now, like i said not a big deal still decent amount of thread, just something little i noticed

i see what you mean
that was a real struggle with the shank style lugnuts too

thanks

Get a Bottle of NAPA aluminum wheel cleaner. Do some testing with it.... You have been warned. It is definitely acidic.....

Good luck,
JW

-
Back