So I almost died today

-

ArizonaKid

Reaction score
Today I was driving to the parts store for an alternator belt, and getting off the freeway, i hear a very loud bang, almost like a tire burst; and my car is shaking like its going to fall apart.
I pull over and look, and the tires are fine, so I continue my trip into town and back home, on the freeway both ways, and I just can't figure out why the car is shaking so bad.
I get home and do the belts, jack up the car, and look under it for the reason, I didn't look long.

The front U-joint failed on the car, one of the caps came off, if I wasn't as lucky, the driveshaft could've pogoed through my floorboard, destroying the car and probably killing me in the process.

Reminded me of...
View attachment ForumRunner_20140606_102908.jpg

Ummmm yea. Count your blessings. Probably wasn't the best decision you made to keep driving the car, especially on the freeway! :banghead:

Glad there wasnt any more carnage than that and you made it home safe!

But I have to ask. Did you jump back in it and drive back to the parts store to get a u-joint? LOL sorry

Ummmm yea. Count your blessings. Probably wasn't the best decision you made to keep driving the car, especially on the freeway! :banghead:

Yup....thus is true....glad you made it home in one piece...

A Skyline!!! Could also be a GTR, oh how I do so miss my GTR.
Glad your safe and install a driveshaft loop.

Trust me on this, if i had known what happened on the road, I wouldn't have pushed it. What I figured was that a suspension bushing had gone out, factory rubber and all that, and that i was good to hobble home. Never doing that again, thats for sure.

At least this got my guardian angel off his *** for once :angel11:

Many years ago, front U joint came apart in cousin Ronnies 69 T-bird. Drive shaft went under a rear tire causing out of control. Car went off the road backward and into trees. a boy sitting in center of rear seat died. The loose spare came out of trunk and pushed the boys head through the windshield. Worst single vehicle crash I've ever seen.
Yes you were lucky. Note to all, never ignore a vibration.

I had a front U joint blow apart on a Dodge Monaco many moons ago. It was a hot summer afternoon, and I had just got up to about 35 mph, when I heard a loud bang, followed by the rear of the car lifting about 3 feet in the air and spun me 180* in the road. The driveshaft had dug into the hot pavement and acted like a catapult.

DRIVE SHAFT HOOP!

I had a front U joint blow apart on a Dodge Monaco many moons ago. It was a hot summer afternoon, and I had just got up to about 35 mph, when I heard a loud bang, followed by the rear of the car lifting about 3 feet in the air and spun me 180* in the road. The driveshaft had dug into the hot pavement and acted like a catapult.

DRIVE SHAFT HOOP!
I actually seen this happen to a pick up in front of me on the highway A few years back. T he drive shaft dug so hard in to the pavement that it flipped the truck over backwards.

-
Back