So, I just bought a 543...

-
My friend had his 543 dynod with stock unported 906's with a smallish cam 525hp and 625 lb-ft all in below 5,000 rpm.

Interesting--the big question for me is--How does it drive? As in--Does it RPM willingly up to and over 5000 rpm ? Or does it takes its time to get there kinda thing? Honestly asking with that 522 RB build I've got going on. J.Rob

I called Hughes last week about that. He told me the porting would be $1,650. It makes more sense to me to use these heads, sell the E-Streets, and buy new TF 270 heads when they’re available. Out of pocket would be very similar and I’d still have the RPM heads to put back on my 440.
That sounds like an excellent plan!

Interesting--the big question for me is--How does it drive? As in--Does it RPM willingly up to and over 5000 rpm ? Or does it takes its time to get there kinda thing? Honestly asking with that 522 RB build I've got going on. J.Rob

not a 543 , but my 505 revs fast and will hit the rev limiter before I can hit second gear if I`ve got my head in my ***, or fighting the wheel.
I just raised the limiter to 6250 from 6000, guess the solid roller has something todo w/ that , and the raised port heads ---------
Think it will go well beyond that too , but thats a lot of weight to swing around for a poor boy like me , even if it is as smooth as a babies but , because of the excellent race balance by Hughs.

not a 543 , but my 505 revs fast and will hit the rev limiter before I can hit second gear if I`ve got my head in my ***, or fighting the wheel.
I just raised the limiter to 6250 from 6000, guess the solid roller has something todo w/ that , and the raised port heads ---------
Think it will go well beyond that too , but thats a lot of weight to swing around for a poor boy like me , even if it is as smooth as a babies but , because of the excellent race balance by Hughs.

Another 1/4" in stroke from yours to a 543 is BIG difference and yes a solid roller cam and raised ports heads kinda changes things--Lol. J.Rob

I’ve dyno tested a few stock appearing 526’s(4.375x4.375) with exhaust manifolds on them.
Peak tq in the 42-4400 range, peak power in the 6000-6200 range.

They are very responsive, and will go to 7k without hesitation.

With the bias ply tires, they’re quite a handful on the street.

They have gone over 130mph in the 1/4 at 3900lbs on those tires.

Well, the engine is on the dyno. It runs, doesn’t leak, and will be run Monday morning to see what it has.

I ended up getting TF270 heads, Indy intake, and a billet Holley Dominator.

Last edited:
Peak numbers for one pull were 716hp @5400 and 710tq (I forgot where that fell). That was without the spacer. With the spacer, we got 706hp @5700 and 701tq @5000. This was the better of the two power spreads by a long ways. It really wanted more fuel with the spacer, but unfortunately I didn’t have anything bigger for jets so that’s where it ended.

These headers didn’t do me any favors.

7E1F634F-5162-4E70-815B-BB2EDD82AF29.jpeg

Peak numbers for one pull were 716hp @5400 and 710tq (I forgot where that fell). That was without the spacer. With the spacer, we got 706hp @5700 and 701tq @5000. This was the better of the two power spreads by a long ways. It really wanted more fuel with the spacer, but unfortunately I didn’t have anything bigger for jets so that’s where it ended.

Nice numbers, should make a fun ride

-
Back