So I now know what my winter project will be!!

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
We went for a 70 mile drive yesterday to a carshow and a recurring problem became MUCH worse! With our crappy fuel my 13:1 340 did not like the drive at all!!!! I guess it is time to take it out and make it more street friendly. The problem with this is that I LOVE the way it sounds and works and hope that the changes I make will not affect it too much. I am going to reuse the cam or replace it with the same kind ( hemi grind). Wish me luck as I put 10 1/5:1 pistons in.

would it be possible to have a second engine?

another milder 340 or even a 318? if you don't have a/c or acc. then its a 35 minute swappy swappy.

Just an idea.

If not then good luck......you know you always have your friends wishing you the best :)

regardless when the engine comes out, I am guessing that will be the perfect time for the four gear to go back in :cheers:

would it be possible to have a second engine?

another milder 340 or even a 318? if you don't have a/c or acc. then its a 35 minute swappy swappy.

Just an idea.

If not then good luck......you know you always have your friends wishing you the best :)

regardless when the engine comes out, I am guessing that will be the perfect time for the four gear to go back in :cheers:

I would like to see an uninterrupted video of a 35 minute swappy swappy. Even in my young days I couldn't pull out a running engine then get another engine in and running in 35 minutes.

I would like to see an uninterrupted video of a 35 minute swappy swappy. Even in my young days I couldn't pull out a running engine then get another engine in and running in 35 minutes.

I did it on an SB with no a/c, no PS and manual brakes and manual trans. and it had headers.

I started with draining the radiator so that it could be draining as I did other things, disconnected the headers at the heads, lose the motor mount nuts, get rid of the z-bar ( to protect the little white bushings) lower clutch covers bell housing bolts, pulled the clutch fork back (not out just back) ....throttle cable.

Last was get rid of the radiator, connect the engine and yank.

OK, my mistake ....it took 30-35 to get it out ......took another half to 45 mins to get the other one in ......sorry brain lapse......I see what you mean now, to get the old one out and new one in all in 35 mins would take wonderwoman or superman........but still the point is that on a lazy sunday afternoon it could all happen very quick.

RaniDart70 you ARE the man!! 35 minutes! By the time I finish scratching the places on me that itch, I've almost ate up that much time. Maybe all of your gremlins are hanging out in my garage. Heck, I spend more time than that hunting for tools. LOL.

Are you running the 471/474" lift, 284 duration street hemi grind Mopar Performance cam?

If so, what's it like and how does it sound at idle?

I have one that I pulled out of my 340 when I rebuilt it and was thinking of putting it in replacing the P4452761 455 lift 268/272 duration cam that I currently run.

Had the motor out when I bought it and the A/C was a pain , but it worked. Our premium fuel sucks ***!! I have used race fuel, but at $15.00 a US gallon that gets really expensive quickly. As to what purple shaft I have I do not know as it was in the motor when I bought the car.

I just checked my oil level and it hardly moved after 140 miles or so. So I am presuming that most of the smoke I am seeing is from knock which is NOT good. I am really confused at this point and am looking at putting a water injection system to control knock. Any thoughts?

my car has a/c and power steering so it will take two weeks!!!!

oh, dang.....and usually to add insult to injury, not do the a/c units take up a huge amount of space and get in the way....they usually don't work either :banghead:

In my run I have only had one A-body ever with a/c and that was the first thing I got rid of. It didn't even work and was just a boat anchor.

I have never had an a-body with PS or PB

the highest octane you can get in my area is 91, so if you are considered high altitude then you definitely wont find anything good for 13:1 from the pump

have tried that , but the car wouldn't run worth a crap. It is at 34 deg all the time. I tried dropping the timing and hooking up the advance, but that did NOT work!!

-
Back