so i was going 80 through town yesterday...

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
I was heading through town last night and we had another big thunderstorm. I was on the highway and i looked down and noticed my speedometer said 110. It has happened once before last time it rained. I went through town and it said 80. Anyone know why hard raining causes me speedometer to nearly double?

Not sure... First thing to check would be the speedo cable. They do almost 90 degree turn just under the drivers seat and have worn through their casing wall along there. Water in it will make it do strange things.

Quit spinning your tires, LOL. Seriously though, that is something that I haven't heard before, wild.

Chuck

Cable drive or one with the sensor thats electric feed? If its the electric maybe getting wet is changing the amount of signal its sending. If its cable drive... beats me!!!

That is weird.
I hope you figure it out or every time it rains
It will put allot of miles on it.:tongue9:

But your gas mileage go's up\\:D/

That is odd. My cable went bad, but had different symptoms. The outer covering was old and cracked apart, allowing water, dirt, grime and whatever else to contaminate the cable itself. Started making a buzzing noise and the speedo needle started bouncing all over.

Easy, you have a non sure grip rear and you are hydroplaning the right rear tire. If you take a non suregrip car and put it on jackstands, put in in drive and take the speedo to say 40mph, if you were to put 1 tire to the ground and stop it, the other one will shoot up to 80mph. Something of that nature must be happening to you.

100+ mph speeds is a very common mopar problem. I cant seem to keep my speedometer under 100 and cant seem to keep my foot outa the carb lol :tongue9:

Cable drive or one with the sensor thats electric feed? If its the electric maybe getting wet is changing the amount of signal its sending. If its cable drive... beats me!!!

It is cable drive. Its not really a big deal as i am sticking in a new engine and a new rocky mountain dash so the milage doesnt really matter.

Easy, you have a non sure grip rear and you are hydroplaning the right rear tire. If you take a non suregrip car and put it on jackstands, put in in drive and take the speedo to say 40mph, if you were to put 1 tire to the ground and stop it, the other one will shoot up to 80mph. Something of that nature must be happening to you.

It wasnt hydroplaning, it did it in the morning too when it was done raining. It slowly settled itself back down to the normal speed the more i drove it that day. Im pretty sure its the cable. Its starting to bounce a little at lower speeds. Just wondering if anyone else had this or even heard of it.

You know how a Speedo works?
It is a close tolerance magnetic coupling driven by the cable.
The cable wouldn't rotate faster if damaged.
Normally trash gets in the gap causing the dreaded flopping needle.
Or the shaft is worn causing the rotating parts to collide.
Not a cable. It either turns or it doesn't. I'm just saying cables aren't my normal problem.
I’ve never heard of your problem.
But since this is a cable drive and you are sure you are not hydroplaning and unless there is voodoo in the transmission gear that is the only thing I can figure.
In other words something is pulling the needle more than it is supposed to.
And it is being dampened too, which prevents it from flopping.
This is a WAG on my part.

-
Back