So my 340 turned out to be.......

-

cross_thread72

Tattooed white trash
Reaction score
a 318, I'm highly disappointed, and yes the first good test drive revealed an ugly under powered secret. I got it up in the air and found the block numbers and learned the sad truth. :sad8:

a 318, I'm highly disappointed, and yes the first good test drive revealed an ugly under powered secret. I got it up in the air and found the block numbers and learned the sad truth. :sad8:
Its not that sad theres lots of parts in the member classifieds to make that 318 go like stink !! the 1st motor in the wifes swinger would melt 235/60 ta,s in 2nd gear with a 904 and 355's with just an intake cam and a good valve job and port match so :cheers: just think about all the fun your gonna have pullen wrenches:toothy8:.

Bummer, did the seller say it was a 340?

Yeah I was told it was a 340, turns out everything I was told about the car was an all out lie. I started realizing the web of lies when I decoded the fender tag. What I have is a not so tasteful /6 car that was cleverly disguised as a V8 swinger. But I agree with the other poster that there will be some good times to come with my 318. I wish I honestly knew the cam specs, and another starting point to wake it up. On a positive note the 727 is a monster and I love that second gear scratch!

Its not that sad theres lots of parts in the member classifieds to make that 318 go like stink !! the 1st motor in the wifes swinger would melt 235/60 ta,s in 2nd gear with a 904 and 355's with just an intake cam and a good valve job and port match so :cheers: just think about all the fun your gonna have pullen wrenches:toothy8:.

Put a Vortech or Paxton blower on it (or, a turbo) and you wan't have to worry about getting outrun by 90-percent of the 340s out there..:cheers:

As soon as I saw this I knew what the answer was. So the seller lied I would sue him for fraud.

Yeah I was told it was a 340, turns out everything I was told about the car was an all out lie. I started realizing the web of lies when I decoded the fender tag. What I have is a not so tasteful /6 car that was cleverly disguised as a V8 swinger. But I agree with the other poster that there will be some good times to come with my 318. I wish I honestly knew the cam specs, and another starting point to wake it up. On a positive note the 727 is a monster and I love that second gear scratch!

A wise man just takes what he has and rolls with it. Sounds like you are on track so let the good times roll.

They always say it's a 340.
This guy I used to know had a camper he wanted to sell in which it had a 340...not.
They didn't put 340s in that year camper. It was actually a 360.

Dirty rotten shame,It is what it is-best revenge is living well.Don't let it get you down,you can spend a lot of money trying to sue the guy.If it is he said-he said and nothing on paper,hard to prove.Good Luck with it whichever way you go.

Sorry to hear your bad fortune.On the other hand,318s do run hard.

Misrepresentation is never fun. Reminds me of when I went to look at a dodge dart gt listed as a 2 door on craigslist and by the time I got there it magically grew 2 extra doors! Not only was I mad as hell for wasting a day but the expense of gas and renting a car dolly. Cam specs are very sedate 0.393/0.400 at the valve and minimal duration. That's why when everyone puts 1.88/1.50 valves and any cam over 0.440 lift, basic 600 cfm 4 barrel and headers that 318 will feel like a whole new motor. On a side note, you were lied too about the motor, are you sure you have a 727? They are longer and have a different pan than the 904. It wouldn't hurt to verify before you go buying parts for trans. Best of luck

Sure the 318 can get 11 to 1 pistons and a nasty camshaft but the 340 will still be up 20 CI and that little larger bore size helps to get more airflow from the 2.02 intake valves.

Built the same the 340 will edge out ahead every time 20--30 more hp....well if each CI is making 1 hp and plus the extra airflow from the larger bore size.

Guess you can notch the 318 bores so the intake will flow better but still your 20 CI short

You gotta double check the facts buying a 40 year old car. The seller might have been fooled himself by the last seller

Call the seller up, and ask if he knows where you might get an engine. When he asks why, tell him the "340" that was in the car turned out to be a prototype block that you were told has some very odd features, and that Chrysler has offered you a "very large sum" to buy the engine back. Then bask in the afterglow of pissing in somebody else's cornflakes just as they have yours.

I was told the engine in my Cuda was a 318. I just assumed the guy threw a 4bbl intake in it. I loaded it in my truck to haul off to the JY when I noticed it was a 340. So for once I was thankful for dope and the guys who smoked it.

Been there long time ago. Bought a supposed 1970 340 barracuda . Turned out to be an original /6 car . Had a 318 in it at the time. Learned a great lesson expensive though.

-
Back