So whats this kind of swap cost to do???

-
Yea, you are right. I have had this friendly argument/discussion and it all depends on taste and what you are into. The $2000 distributor idea from Arrington is a good idea but is way too much money. If you are going for the early hemi look or just simplicity in installation with a carburetor it's ok. This part is just my opinion please take it for what it is, I have had a bit of experience with dodge dealers in my aria, I wouldnt want a 20 year old kid with his hat on sideways, his pants around his ankles, and no respect for what he is looking at and dosn't care, working over the fender of a car that took me 4 years to build. Again an opinion please take it for what it is!!! Im not lookin to start an argument!!

I hear you barking there big dog, and your right, I would never bring my car to a dealer, but I could! It kills me to see the things available for chevy's and the prices they pay, about half of what we pay. But when my car is finished, and I take it to a show, how many other 63 Dart GT's w/5.7 Hemi will be there? That will make it all worth it in the end.

I hear you barking there big dog, and your right, I would never bring my car to a dealer, but I could! It kills me to see the things available for chevy's and the prices they pay, about half of what we pay. But when my car is finished, and I take it to a show, how many other 63 Dart GT's w/5.7 Hemi will be there? That will make it all worth it in the end.

I agree!!! ABSOLUTELY!!!:cheers:

Oh one other thing, why would you want to replace a $1600 harness/computer with a $2000 dist ?

exactly my point,,,a dizzy conversion should be afordable,,you can do a dizzy conversion on a GM LS motor for less then 400 bucks i have been told,,it uses a ford dizzy,,,

i have no hard evadense but arrington didnt do there home work,,they had to have a special dizzy made for this conversion,,they told me they tried every dizzy on the market and no go,,,i think they tried them after they invested 14 grand into devlopment of the timing cover,, no matter how you do it,,,dizzy MSD,,mopar plug and play,,the electronics are way more monmey then the motor it self,,the cheapest route i found is the XV motor sports kit,,but i never called and asked exactly what the kit came with,,,when i asked a rep at carlisle he just gave me the run around,,,,

the only way this conversion makes sense dollar wise over an LA transplant is to get a complete donor vehicle at a bargain,,and transplant it and leave it stock,,,,

and it seems to be the same for transplanting a magnum motor costly,,,and i refuse to switch to the poor mans mucsle car GM,,:-D,

exactly my point,,,a dizzy conversion should be afordable,,you can do a dizzy conversion on a GM LS motor for less then 400 bucks i have been told,,it uses a ford dizzy,,,

i have no hard evadense but arrington didnt do there home work,,they had to have a special dizzy made for this conversion,,they told me they tried every dizzy on the market and no go,,,i think they tried them after they invested 14 grand into devlopment of the timing cover,, no matter how you do it,,,dizzy MSD,,mopar plug and play,,the electronics are way more monmey then the motor it self,,the cheapest route i found is the XV motor sports kit,,but i never called and asked exactly what the kit came with,,,when i asked a rep at carlisle he just gave me the run around,,,,

the only way this conversion makes sense dollar wise over an LA transplant is to get a complete donor vehicle at a bargain,,and transplant it and leave it stock,,,,

and it seems to be the same for transplanting a magnum motor costly,,,and i refuse to switch to the poor mans mucsle car GM,,:-D,

Converting to a magnum motor shouldn't be a big deal. The quickest way would be to use a regular electronic LA distributor, a Megasquirt ecu and the correct high pressure fuel pump if you want to leave it fuel injected. A magnum swap is way cheaper than a 3rd gen swap expecialy if your car originaly has an LA in it!!:toothy10:

Converting to a magnum motor shouldn't be a big deal. The quickest way would be to use a regular electronic LA distributor, a Megasquirt ecu and the correct high pressure fuel pump if you want to leave it fuel injected. A magnum swap is way cheaper than a 3rd gen swap expecialy if your car originaly has an LA in it!!:toothy10:

not to sure on all the details on the mega squirt,,, ive seen one,it was a kit had to be assembled like an old heath kit ham radio kit,,, or the cost,,,,but to go to a carb the intakes arent cheap,,but yes easier then a 3 gen hemi,,, but now almost impossible to find a low mileage magnum motor,,,so theres the rebuild cost also,,

not to sure on all the details on the mega squirt,,, ive seen one,it was a kit had to be assembled like an old heath kit ham radio kit,,, or the cost,,,,but to go to a carb the intakes arent cheap,,but yes easier then a 3 gen hemi,,, but now almost impossible to find a low mileage magnum motor,,,so theres the rebuild cost also,,

The cheapest intake I saw was on ebay. $140 You can also have the magnum heads drilled and tapped to take a standard intake. I put a 6pack on my magnum headed stroker 318. Megasquirt ecms are available in kit form or assembled for around $350 Low milage magnums are rare today you are correct but you can buy a stock reman for around 1500-1700 bucks.

i didnt think a magnum would come anywhere close to the cost of the hemi swap. im really losing intrest in the 5.7 swap fast. its just really hard to justify when i have a low mile 400 and 727, pile of heads, tti headers, spool mount k frame with the mounts moved and a few different intakes to chose from. id still want to go with a manual od trans though. well see.

ide con sider a carbbed magnum,,for my street rod, also a injected magnum,,possibly,

Honestly, if you want swap info FABO is a great source. If you want 3G power info go check out www.LXForums.com or one of the Ram truck forums. You will find quite a few vendors who really know these motors inside out and provide custom motors to your budget or spec cheaper or better than those crate motors. Dig around over there and you will see who has my motor business. I went w/ the XV carb manifold, TTI headers and eng mounts, It is expected to be about 450 crank hp or so in my Duster. That hopefully will get me deep into the 12's and provide lots of grins on the street. It is not intended to be the fastest car around but I will have lots of fun in it.

I just need that ellusive round tuit to get the motor in the car.

I think it can be done pretty cheap if your willing to take on alot of the stuff yourself. Good 5.7 hemi short blocks are cheap but be careful not to buy something thats had the pistons broken as thats pretty common. There are plenty of good 5.7 hemis around at a reasonable price. You can use the jeep GC manifolds or I've been modding a set of Jeep SRT manifolds and just about have them clearing but it's been alot of work. Really the engine managment is where the money can be saved or spent. I really want to make a stock truck PCM and wiring harness work so I can keep the fuel injection and tune it with the Diablo CMR software. Almost certian I can do this I just need to.

It's not as simple as dropping in a 340 but doesn't necessarily have to cost more.

-
Back