So you're standing at the parts counter.....

-
The whole point of this thread wasnt to pick on parts counter people and has nothing to do with 18 year old drop outs....
I cant believe NOT ONE PERSON(except privately in a pm) has answered my question....carry on lmao
We are our own worst enemies.
73 is most likely electronic ignition. Ballast resister is different, 4 terminals. I wouldn’t want an 18 year old dropout telling me what I need.

The whole point of this thread wasnt to pick on parts counter people and has nothing to do with 18 year old drop outs....
I cant believe NOT ONE PERSON(except privately in a pm) has answered my question....carry on lmao
We are our own worst enemies.
My bad….
What I meant to say is 1970 vs 1973 ignitions will have some differences. Points vs electronics. Ballast resistors are different. Chrysler started electronics in 72.
As for the clerk at Advance or Autozone, I order everything online. I’m just there to pick up my order.

Sorry, didnt mean to come across as an ***. While I agree sometimes with parts people, they can only use what is given to them. Knowledge is power and the corporations dont give them(for the most part) power.
What I was trying to say(in fewer words lol) was that it is sometimes hard to decipher the correct info to help ourselves.
I'm a fairly "stock" guy, but for people that have swapped drum to disc, sbp to bbp. FMJ spindles etc etc.
For me as mentioned it was the elec ign(which entails a few parts).
I compared 73 dart vs 84 Ram...different coils lol.
My bad….
What I meant to say is 1970 vs 1973 ignitions will have some differences. Points vs electronics. Ballast resistors are different. Chrysler started electronics in 72.
As for the clerk at Advance or Autozone, I order everything online. I’m just there to pick up my order.

One of the problems with swapping parts around on an ignition system is that what you need to know is not easily measured. Folks talk about voltages all the time because that can be easily measured. What is really important is the current the ignition module has to switch. This is not easily measured, as it is a pulsed current and varies with time. (Voltage measurements are also time varying, but that is another subject)

If you keep the total resistance of the coil and the points the same, you are probably ok. From post #22 the lowest numbers added together and the highest added together are about 1.9 to 2.4 ohms. So, if your coil and ballast resistor of choice add up to something between 1.9 and 2.4 ohms, you are probably safe.

This is oversimplified, but should keep you in safe operating territory.

Here's the '73 coil & br per FSM.............
1666048877999.png

Don't ask em to get the books out from behind the counter to find something!
There was a nice Car Quest with a shop attached to the side , an Autozone went in right down the street, by bye Car quest. This was they type of parts house where the counter people knew parts, plus they supplied the local repair shops, plus they had every kind of hardware in bins, and a body work section etc. You could buy a gallon of paint and paint a car, of course you had to pick a color they had, no mixing...but point is those parts houses are disappearing, and Auto zone really doesn't cut it its Wal mart for auto parts.

If I'm not mistaken Advance Auto bought out Car Quest.
A late friend used to have dirt race cars and like to experiment with engines. He built a 380 SBC in a GRT chassis and hung a "Grand Prix" body on it.
Went to the parts store for spark plugs and gave them the Autolite #.
What kind of car?
Race car.
What kind?
Late model.
Brand?
GRT
What does it say on the front?
Pontiac Grand Prix.
Okay, what engine?
380 V8
Do you mean 3800 V6?
No.
I can't sell you anything if you can't tell me what it's for.

Parts stores are requiring parts are looked up in the computer to prevent wrong parts being sold resulting in lawsuits.
My brother was in the parts biz for years and saw an Autozoner get fired for filling a customer's request for SBC plug wires without looking it up in the computer. Thats when he got out of it.

Lots of complaints about parts counter guys, but unfortunately most are at the mercy of their bosses and lack of training etc, oh yeah and shitty pay too.
Thx again Steve, Those are the ones. Hoping their still available if my current direction doesn't work out. My machinist friend seems quite confident we can do them correctly and for reasonable cost. Here's to hope :)

Lots of complaints about parts counter guys, but unfortunately most are at the mercy of their bosses and lack of training etc, oh yeah and shitty pay too.
The corporations don't want people that know cars or parts.
I was overlooked for a job at Checker Auto when I was 17/18, they didn't hire me, so I ended up in the corps. Their loss at the time, so I have no problem laughing at the morons they ended up with today.

Never tell them what you actually have. Tell them it’s a custom application, or it’s a custom drag car. But you have to know the part number of what you want. Don’t dare set foot in there expecting to be bowled over with knowledge. These stores only hire those that can say: “can I help you find something” and “what’s it going on” and know how to scroll a screen. Do the research, know the part number, get in and get out!

Maybe they should offer a "vintage" section more suitable for some here?? :poke:
The corporations don't want people that know cars or parts.
I was overlooked for a job at Checker Auto when I was 17/18, they didn't hire me, so I ended up in the corps. Their loss at the time, so I have no problem laughing at the morons they ended up with today.

I have a number of friends that are countermen (with grey hair). My favorite story from them is a customer that bought a headlight bulb for something, paid for it, and was walking out the door, stopped, turned and asked "This is for the left side?". My friend said, "Absolutely, sir."

The shitty pay was the whole point of why we are where we are . A true "Parts professional" wants to be paid accordingly.

-
Back