Solid bushings vs. rubber vs. poly

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I'm almost ready to re-install my leafs after a mini tub.

Considering solid aluminum bushings but wanted to get some input from people who have some first hand experience.

I know Caltrac springs and their bar kits come with solid bushings.

Solid aluminum. If you are using the car just for racing they are fine. For the street they can be creaky and noisey.Keep them lubed. That's the only thing I could tell you that makes any difference.Poly can get noisey after a while even using the supplied grease.Both are great for racing, keeping the rear planted.

The solid ones i'm looking at have steel insersts just like the factory rubber ones. What creaks? The outside?

Car is street/strip

Now on bbd.com someone said the mancini ones are junk becasue they don't have a collar.

I could buy a poly or nylon one and spin a copy in the lathe. At that pooint I really wonder how much more the poly would give Vs. aluminum.

It would depend on the durometer rating of the poly. If road noise isn't a big concern, Delrin is a good material.

if you are gonna drive yours on the street ....I am a fan of OEM rubber

it is nice to have a little cush to take away the harshness of the poly or aluminum.

I replaced my rear poly bushed 4-bar ends with rubber bushed....I got a lot smoother , less noisy ride.

you're drag racing so consider nothing but aluminum, period.

which ones would you recomend Bob?

was looking at these.. I figured they'd work and I could copy them on the lathe in aluminum.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-4-1001-bl/overview/

One thing about the aluminum ones I see is they say 2" which the spring is wider than that also there is no collar so it would seem side to side motion would be an issue.

Can you link me ot the ones you recomend?

too noisy. It squeeks all the time :D I changed to rubber. For street of course

What I ended up doing is buying a full set of urethane bushings which I can copy on the lathe for aluminum.

Now on to the squeaking..

I don't understand where the squeaking is coming from. The stock ones are sleeved with steel so it isn't between the bolt and the sleeve. It must be between the bushing and the spring.

Now this would be due to it moving inside the spring itself which means the outer bushing/spring eye fitment is to loose.

-
Back