solid roller cam specs for w5 combo

-

evil66

evil66
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have purchased a set of MRL solid roller lifters for my 408 and will be upgrading from stock w2 econo heads to a set of 2.08 valve ported w5 heads shortly. Will be using 1 7/8" tti pipes.

The car currently had a solid flat tappet comp with 248@50 and 560 gross lift , it's a magnum grind.

My aim with the car is a genuine 600hp engine or very close to it but still on the streetable side, I know I might be being a bit optimistic.

I Dont want to overcam the car, thinking about a cam around the 25x @ 50 mark with around 600-620 lift with the 1.6 rockers. Have a friend with a 248/248 solid roller with indy heads that runs 10.7 at 129mph in a full weight valiant charger out here. Not sure about the lobe separation, have been doing a bit of reading and noticed some builders seem to favour a wider lsa with bigger cubed small blocks. Would this help with making it a more streetable combo?

A few people have suggested the 255/263 lunati but not sure about the big stagger between the inlet and exhaust with the w5 heads.

Any cam suggestions appreciated.

Would you know your intake and exhaust port flow numbers? Know this and the engine and cars other key specs like rear end gear ratio, transmission type and gear rations, carb size, vehicle weight with driver, converter stall, ... will help you get the best match for your engine. Armed with your engine and cars specs, cam grinders like Bullet, Oregon, Lunati, Comp Cams , ... will help you extract the most of the combination.

I know there are several people on this forum that will give you good recommendations as well.

i got the same lifters from mrl and also got the voodoo solid roller 600 lift cam , cant remember the other numbers off hand but its the biggest roller they have in the voodoo line off shelf, 416 fully worked eddys, victor 340, 10.3 com, seems more streetable than my last 340 with a 549 lift solid, it made 583 hp on pump gas with step headers, got a set of 1 7/8 ready to go on , wish I had them on the dyno, mike at mrl helped me with my build and he was dead on the combo, I would call him and see what he recommends, good luck the w-5 s should be a lot better than the eddies , good luck:D

Few more details:

727 CRT transmission
3000 rpm converter (will be going up when heads and cam go on)
3.9:1 gears
currently 750HP Holley but will upgrade if needed
Vehicle weight with driver 3400lbs (full street trim)
Compression (currently 10.5:1 with the W2's but with closed chamber W5s will be approximately 11.5:1 once some deshrouding is done) We can get 98 or 100 octane fuel from the pump here so hoping will be ok.

As far as head flow the heads are stock W5 blue plug castings at the moment. From the figures I have seen for other W5's I don't think 320-330 inlet /230-240cfm exh at 600 lift is out of reach from the guy porting them without going over the top.

345man2 - I think that Lunati cam is the one Mike mentioned he had success with when I bought the lifters. I think the more people I talk to about cams the more confused I get!

Was reading an old W2 build and I think it might have been OU812 recommending a 112 lobe separation my friends engine builder says he doesn't like a larger difference inlet / exh duration with a good cylinder head.

mike at mrl and brian at imm both know how to make hp talk to both of them and go which one works best for you, cant go wrong with either:D

-
Back