solvent poping

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
My paint job is only 2 years old and not to soon after it is solvent popping.Car was strip down to bare metal and base clear.Is this something that can be wet sanded out and polished.The shop that sprayed the car will not look after the problem.The car was a bare shell no vin tag,they say we have no record of that car being there,what a joke.

A result of clear drying too fast or not enough flash time between coats, best method is to sand it off and reprime/paint the car.

You will knock through all (or 90%) of the clear wetsanding/polishing it out. Wont leave enough left for UV protection.

A result of clear drying too fast or not enough flash time between coats, best method is to sand it off and reprime/paint the car.

You will knock through all (or 90%) of the clear wetsanding/polishing it out. Wont leave enough left for UV protection.

dam that's not good news.

My paint job is only 2 years old and not to soon after it is solvent popping.Car was strip down to bare metal and base clear.Is this something that can be wet sanded out and polished.The shop that sprayed the car will not look after the problem.The car was a bare shell no vin tag,they say we have no record of that car being there,what a joke.

Freaking crooks!!

Ok thanks,now will it keep popping or is this a one time thing.
After 2 years it should be done unless moisture is forming under the finish causing the paint to lift from the substrate. Sound more like bad prep to me or water in the primer from the paint gun. It should look like little bubbles in the finish.
It will more than likely need to be stripped and repainted. Sorry for the bad news.

If you waxed it before the required 90 day cure cycle this could have caused it too!

force drying,like with a fan can cause this also,or if the painter is just too plain anxious and in a hurry,they will not give the paint enough time to "flash".So when they apply a coat over the coat that has not yet flashed,the solvents come up from the coat that has not had time to gas out through the new coat so that makes the little air blisters in the paint.Sometimes you can buff it out .

After 2 years it should be done unless moisture is forming under the finish causing the paint to lift from the substrate. Sound more like bad prep to me or water in the primer from the paint gun. It should look like little bubbles in the finish.
It will more than likely need to be stripped and repainted. Sorry for the bad news.

If you waxed it before the required 90 day cure cycle this could have caused it too!

No wax only after 1 year.This was done in a good booth, down draft with back cycles.

I wasn't sure on the time table. Usually solvent popping happens right away. Personally I never have seen anything solvent pop more than a week after it was painted. If you get a chance post up a photo of the area's. Personally I don't think it would be hard to get rid of. Wet sand the clear and polish it back if the areas are not too severe. The solvents trying to escape are turning from a liquid into a gas.. this happens very quickly as I said and you will notice this before the car is even out of the shop. But it is possible you never know what the painter did.

Does it look something like this?
images

Ive been guilty of having this happen to me and a good wetsanding with 2000 grit and polishing usually took care of it.Try that to see if it works:toothy7:

This is the best I can get the bubbles are very small,there on the top of my fenders and 3 or 4 on the hood.I know its not filler because I saw the tops before anything went on.Its hard to see but there there just above the glare and to the right.

Attachments

• sony pic 502.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 213
Snake, this paint job has been a thorn since you had it done. I remember your original post from when I first started lurking around here about the paint.
Hope you can get it solved.

I know where you are coming from !!!!! Mine did the same thing 3 months after it was painted !!!! I had to strip it back to the bare metal and re-paint.....What a BUMMER !!!!
I was so pissed I had the Dupont rep to look at it......NO HELP THERE either........
Sorry to hear this....Good Luck

Snake, this paint job has been a thorn since you had it done. I remember your original post from when I first started lurking around here about the paint.
Hope you can get it solved.
Ya its been a bummer for sure,but this is not the body mansss fault this time.But live and learn

Snake .It's hard to see in the pic's but imo a water sand and polishwould make it 50 -70% better.I live close by and could take a look at to tell for sure PM me.
Ed.

The circled area's look to me to be under the paint. One perhaps is a dirt nib in the clear that was wet sanded a bit and polished, but the rest look to be issues under the paint or primer. I have seen little spots like this in the shop before. A lot of restorations sit in bare metal as they are being worked on for long periods of time. What it looks like to me is rust. The bubbles on the top edge of the panel look that way the most. But it is very hard to say with a picture on the internet.

Attachments

• sony pic 502.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 96
Good observation ,a good trained eye in person will advised me on what to do.I may have to live with it for a bit.5 grand paint job is not my plan now lol.Every car I have had always has some issues.Maybe one day.

Good observation ,a good trained eye in person will advised me on what to do.I may have to live with it for a bit.5 grand paint job is not my plan now lol.Every car I have had always has some issues.Maybe one day.

Nothing is perfect :) There is always onnnnnnnnneeee little spot! :cheers:

-
Back