Some days it doesn’t pay to get outta bed

-

Les Gibson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had this happen when car launched for my first time run this past Sunday. Thankfully there seems to be no other issues and I got a replacement from Harland Sharp today.

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

It's always something! Now there's an "aw ****" moment.
I didn't know what had happened as I've never had a rocker arm break before. It was spitting and sputtering back through the carbs like it was a timing issue ( which is a sense it is) so I thought my ignition box had gone crazy. Some of my buddies said it sounded like I had blown it up. Funniest part is once I got towed back to my trailer this little old lady who had to be in her late 70s came over and said " I think you broke a rocker arm, that's what it sounded like to me". So I said let's find out so I pulled the passenger side valve cover and there it was! She said " I knew that's what had happened!" I asked her if I could hire her to be my chief mechanic!

This ain't the first time this failure has been shared here. I wonder if maybe they had a bad run?

This ain't the first time this failure has been shared here. I wonder if maybe they had a bad run?
Could be that. I'm not sure how many total runs these rockers have on them. But Harland Sharp has outstanding customer service so I should be back at it this weekend.

Could be that. I'm not sure how many total runs these rockers have on them. But Harland Sharp has outstanding customer service so I should be back at it this weekend.
So they're sending one out for no cost? That's good of them.

I’ve dealt with Harland on a vendor issue that wasn’t even their fault, and they took care of me with excellent customer service. They are good people

Ooopsie!
Sorry for your bad luck. But hey: it could had been way worse.
Syleng1

Was there any clearancing done for valve spring/retainer clearance? It also wouldn't hurt to check the valve springs for proper pressures. Valve float can produce loads well over normal operating conditions.

Hopefully you did not lose any of the needle bearings when that broke.

You may want to keep a couple spares handy just in case to save your day/weekend at the race track.

Hopefully you did not lose any of the needle bearings when that broke.

You may want to keep a couple spares handy just in case to save your day/weekend at the race track.
I have a buddy that had one break... Tiny needle bearings of hardened steel floating around are not your engines friend.. After that mess he added magnets in a few locations in the oil drain back path....

I have a buddy that had one break... Tiny needle bearings of hardened steel floating around are not your engines friend.. After that mess he added magnets in a few locations in the oil drain back path....
Epoxy screens on drainback to catch the lumps.

-
Back