Some opinions please

-

69hemibeep

Reaction score
I'm getting to the point where I need to make a decision on gear ratio. Here is the setup and intended use. 68 Valiant mild 440, 727, 2400-2800 stall converter say a 26" tire for cruising hot rodding of coarse and hwy use also, and I mean 80-85mph. Its also going to have A/C so I kept the cam size down for a decent idle. I have enough parts to build a 3.55 or a 3.23 which I'm leaning toward. I could throw 2.94 or a 2.76 in for long trips and re gear to even a lower set for in town but I'd kinda like to keep it simple with a happy medium, Your thoughts?

with a 440 and a valiant platform 323s would be my first choice ...for a hot rod with good low end its a great gear.

With that short tire even 3:23 gears will be buzzing at 80-85 mph. That's the lowest I'd go. In fact considering the light weight of the Valiant and torque of a 440 I'd probably try the 2.94's and see how they do first. I bet you'd be surprised.

With that short tire even 3:23 gears will be buzzing at 80-85 mph. That's the lowest I'd go. In fact considering the light weight of the Valiant and torque of a 440 I'd probably try the 2.94's and see how they do first. I bet you'd be surprised.
Keeping close to the stock ride height and a 3"mini tub, how tall a tire could you stuff in there? spring relocate of coarse

Keeping close to the stock ride height and a 3"mini tub, how tall a tire could you stuff in there? spring relocate of coarse

Sorry I don't know how much room a Valiant has. I got a 28" tall (just barely fit) tire in my 68 Cuda but I don't know if their wheel well is the same size opening.

Sorry I don't know how much room a Valiant has. I got a 28" tall (just barely fit) tire in my 68 Cuda but I don't know if their wheel well is the same size opening.
I am guessing they are the same. I'll look at a calculater with say a 27 or 27.5" tire.

I am guessing they are the same. I'll look at a calculater with say a 27 or 27.5" tire.

Even with a 27" tire and the 2.76 gear, your still pushing 3k at 85mph....2,919 by my calc.

I think you're really gonna have to limit that highway speed for any long trips or possibly look into a O/D if the highway is a must.

I really like my 3.23's with a small block stroker 2800 stall and a 26.5" tire. I can light them up at will on my 245/60/15's but can still cruise down the highway when I want. I would assume with the torque of the 440 you will also be very happy. I believe you will be running in the 3300 rpm range at 80 mph with this size tire.

Good point.

Tracy, i've never been west of the Mississippi River, but i can just imagine that big engine cruising across the desert at 3k+ and 110* temps with a A body radiator and a a/c condenser in front of it raising the temp and restricting the flow 20/30%. Last thing i'd want is to set out on a trip and be running hot the whole way. This is definetely not as easy as it sounds as far as picking a gear. I'd like the 3.23's as long as that highway number was more like 60/65mph with the tall tire :D. I agree with you that the 2 something is the maximum for this application.

Tracy, i've never been west of the Mississippi River, but i can just imagine that big engine cruising across the desert at 3k+ and 110* temps with a A body radiator and a a/c condenser in front of it raising the temp and restricting the flow 20/30%. Last thing i'd want is to set out on a trip and be running hot the whole way. This is definetely not as easy as it sounds as far as picking a gear. I'd like the 3.23's as long as that highway number was more like 60/65mph with the tall tire :D. I agree with you that the 2 something is the maximum for this application.

Yep, I hear ya Rick.

Yep, I hear ya Rick.
Ok lets say I stay with the speed limit of 75 Interstate and 65 state hyw. 80-85 was a pipe dream, looking at a calulator 3.23s might be the ticket depending on the tire. I will keep my 2.94s around just incase. I could set up 2.76s for trips to the mats in Vegas and such and 3.55s for around town but I kinda think I would get tired of changing them, not as young as I think :lol:.

i really like the 2.94 gear.

2.94 gear and a 28" tire will put you at about 2800rpm at 79mph..

put the cooling system together properly and you should be fine.

Of all the senarios, this ^^^^^^^^may be the best compromise.

Just curious, out of all the ratios you mentioned, are any of them already in a chunk ready to go? If so, maybe just install them and get some road time on the car and see how the cooling system reacts to some high rpm cruising. It might make zeroing in on a final choice easier. One other thought about tire size, i'd hate for you to throw on a size that compromises the look, stance, ride quality and handling just to get a little rpm reduction on the highway.

Much loss on the low end horsing around on the streets or will the cubic inches cover that ?

Of all the senarios, this ^^^^^^^^may be the best compromise.

Just curious, out of all the ratios you mentioned, are any of them already in a chunk ready to go? If so, maybe just install them and get some road time on the car and see how the cooling system reacts to some high rpm cruising. It might make zeroing in on a final choice easier. One other thought about tire size, i'd hate for you to throw on a size that compromises the look, stance, ride quality and handling just to get a little rpm reduction on the highway.
I have both 3.23s and 2.94s set up and I could move the limited slip out of the 3.23s If I find the 2.94s work better, I need to freshen that up anyway. I guess between the two gear sets it comes down to tire size, Like I said earlier it will be mini tubbed 3" any idea what tire will fit? I'm using sliders for shackles to keep it down in the back, would like it to ride level with 15" wheels if possible. This project should be in paint soon!

I have both 3.23s and 2.94s set up and I could move the limited slip out of the 3.23s If I find the 2.94s work better, I need to freshen that up anyway. I guess between the two gear sets it comes down to tire size, Like I said earlier it will be mini tubbed 3" any idea what tire will fit? I'm using sliders for shackles to keep it down in the back, would like it to ride level with 15" wheels if possible. This project should be in paint soon!

Just thinking about some i've seen, with a standard arch spring, i'd think anything over 27" will start to give you some rake, although you can raise the tortion bars a hair to keep it to a minimum. Hopefully some others running a similar combo will check in and maybe even post a pic or two.

Not to get too far off topic, but as far as "horsing around", this type combo will react similar to running a powerglide (2spd). Big block torque is definetely your friend, but a pretty aggressive initial timing will make it feel alot more responsive down low. With that said, as long as the tires stay hooked:D, there will be a decent load on the engine, especially in second gear, that may require bringing the total advance in a little slower. Only testing when it's all done will really tell what it likes.

Sorry about being long winded:), Rick

Much loss on the low end horsing around on the streets or will the cubic inches cover that ?

hell my stock 74 340 in my dart was quite peppy with a 2.94 gear. i'm sure the big block will be even better. only one way to find out.

everything is a compromise. of course a 3.55 or a 3.91 will be a lot better to mess around stop light to stop light but you want a highway cruiser. either way you go you have to sacrifice something. just the way it is.. unless you want to spend the money for a OD set up.

IMO, a mild 440 like you described will have oodles of torque and in a light weight Valiant will run great even with 2.94's. Heck when I was a kid a buddy of mine had a 69 Fury with a stock 100,000+ mile 440 commando that'd smoke both hides for a block and it only had 3.23 gears and I'd bet it weighed a good 1000 lbs. more than a Valiant.

Sounds like your leaning towards taking this car on trips. I like the idea of a big block
A-body,with a 2.76 gear. Between the torque and lightweight of the car,you'll still have a street bruiser. And it will be a hoot to open up on the interstate.

Reminds me of the time I entered the 405 north,after a day at the Spring Fling.
I was in my little /6 convertible 2.76 gear,flying past Hemi,440,cars.
Obviously they had 1/4 mile gears. Just gave them a little wave. Priceless.

Switched my 340 Demon from 391's to 323 gears. Missed them for awhile, but much better street manners now. The cruise from Phx to the MATS in Vegas is awesome.......

Looking forward to seeing your Valiant on the road or at a local show :thumbup:

Switched my 340 Demon from 391's to 323 gears. Missed them for awhile, but much better street manners now. The cruise from Phx to the MATS in Vegas is awesome.......

Looking forward to seeing your Valiant on the road or at a local show :thumbup:
I'm going to make a run to the Pavillions pretty soon in the runner again, might bump into you :hello2:

-
Back