Someone Local help me out! Defroster issue

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
ill cut to the chase. my 70 swinger's defroster dont work. not sure why, maybe vaccuum or something. anyway im in Rohnert Park, ca. if someone can meet me nearby and knows how to go about fixing a defroster plz help. i dont even wanna try myself, since ill break somthing.

Thanks!

Is your blower motor working? If so, are the defrost hoses connected to the heater box AND the cowl? Does the switch feel like it is moving the door in the heater box? Is there air coming out of the lower openings of the airbox in the center?

Grant

Need to back up a bit here:
Is your car Factory A/C on no?
Do you feel you can deal with this yourself at all?
If yes the lets get ya fixed!
If I was in your area I would be glad to assist ya.

Later,
Bruce B.

my car HAD facory air, yes. but i took the unit out because it was heavy, awkward anm didnt work. i assume i can still run the defrost went tho, since my heater works

Um, You mean the parts in the Engine Bay right? You still have everything under the Dash? And the original Vacuum controller/Switch? Let me know.

Does the fan come on when you turn it on? Like above maybe the hoses fell off the defroster vent under the dash. It is a reach but with a flash light you should be able to see if they are connected?That's a starter. it is a bummer with no defrost in the rain. Ted

Um, You mean the parts in the Engine Bay right? You still have everything under the Dash? And the original Vacuum controller/Switch? Let me know.

yeah jus the engine bay parts are out. i didnt touch anything involved on the interior or dash.. i think its gotta do with the vaccuum cuz the Defrost button is really hard 2 push

That usually means the Controller is busted. You can get them new on ebay from $30.00 to $100.00 bucks NOS. I just replaced the one in my '70 Dart Sedan..... works great now.

Later,
Bruce B.

whats involvec on the installation...most of my stuff has been done by my cousin but i hate askin for every little thing..he jus did my glove box liner the other day

To get to it you must:
Remove the Lower A/C Vents,
Remove the Ash Tray Unit,
Remove the Radio,
Then you can get to the 2 Nuts holding the Contoller and Trim Plate in place (some Trim Plates also have 2 small Screws in the top front also),
Remove the Trim Plate,
Carefully pull the 5 Buttons out of the Controller (They pop into place),
Twist/Turn it around gently in the opening and you will find the 2 Small Screws holding the Contoller to the Plate on the bottom,
Unplug the Power and the Vacuum Conectors,
Remove the old Controller.
Reverse to Install new Controller.
Check the Controller Light Bulb and Replace it whille you have it out.

I just did one of these last week! I knew I should have takin pics! Grrr!

Hope this helps,
Later,
Bruce B.

To get to it you must:
Remove the Lower A/C Vents,
Remove the Ash Tray Unit,
Remove the Radio,
Then you can get to the 2 Nuts holding the Contoller and Trim Plate in place (some Trim Plates also have 2 small Screws in the top front also),
Remove the Trim Plate,
Carefully pull the 5 Buttons out of the Controller (They pop into place),
Twist/Turn it around gently in the opening and you will find the 2 Small Screws holding the Contoller to the Plate on the bottom,
Unplug the Power and the Vacuum Conectors,
Remove the old Controller.
Reverse to Install new Controller.
Check the Controller Light Bulb and Replace it whille you have it out.

I just did one of these last week! I knew I should have takin pics! Grrr!

Hope this helps,
Later,
Bruce B.

Controller light bulb? whats that? i dont think i have one of those. and besides is there any way i can be sure its the controller?

-
Back