Someone slap me. Thinking of buying a '76 AMC Pacer

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I know, I know! But I can get it very cheaply, it is in great shape mechanically and body wise. And I have a built 318 and 904 just laying around waiting to go into something. Talk about a sleeper! I could picture it with a supercharger sticking out of the hood, too!

This is not it, but it's close. I found this picture on google.
View attachment Pacer_1.jpg

I would snap it up in a second!!!!! My Wife thinks I'm nuts but would love to have one!!!!! Imagine the looks on peoples faces with a sb stroker in that????? It would be sweet Here is to Garth and Wayne !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I looked at a few Pacers and couple Gremlins before buying my Duster. Had the price been right, I'd have bought one. I love the "Oddrod" look. Killer sleepers.

Pat

pro -street 440 4 speed dana .....yes im old school . we had a 71 gremlin X with a complete 69 RR drivetrain....383 4 speed 8 3/4= FAST

How about $500 for the right price. It runs and drives with a V6 and automatic on the floor. Almost no rust, but the floor pans are getting holes.

Don't think you'll find a factory V-6 under the hood of a Pacer. Best I can remember it had either a 232 CID or 256 CID I-6s, or a 304 CID V-8. Best news is if it has a V-8 is that the 401 will fit wherever the 304 will. Worst news is that the things were Matador like heavy.

If different is what you want, it doesn't get hot where you live (lots of glass for the a/c to overcome) and the price is right, the Pacer is worth consideration.

One of my first part-time jobs while in college in 1976 was as a drive-through bank teller. Occasionally, I would run errands for the loan officers in a Pacer - a red Pacer (no hiding it).
It was humiliating then, but now... I'd drive one for the nostalgia factor. Go for it, man.

Just add wheels:

Attachments

• 2875000081_large.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 32055110099_large.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 279
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't but I just can't help myself. I think Pacers are uglier than crap. They are so ugly that if one drove by a shitwagon full of chowing down vultures the vultures would all start gagging and fly away when they saw the Pacer.:smile::smile:

IMHO compared to some of those downright pukey looking late model cube shaped imports that one sees on the road today, those Pacers are pretty darn good looking (like that purple X car). BTW the AMC inline 6 is one of the best performing and durable sixes ever made.

I have a cool story about a Pacer. When I was young (about 8 or 9) we went to Valleyfair (amusement park) in a Pacer, we fit 14 people in one of these things! :tongue3: It took about 45 minuets to get there, talk about a packed car!

Hmmm, wonder if we're related, lol. I have a 75 AMC mail Jeep that will be getting a built 318, 727, narrowed 8 3/4, and a host of other mods. Not a hotrod, a daily driver. I deliver mail 6 days a week, and this will be my next route vehicle.

i would buy it just to be weird ...its actually a very cool car to look at....my vote: buy it buy it

And think of all the fun you're going to have with it driving it to a Mitt Romney convention, might even get it autographed..

This woody Pacer is so damn cool. This chick won Pinks All Out in Norwalk with it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdUBTGpsnU"]Jimmy D & Pacer - YouTube[/ame]

They were ahead of their time: Electric Pacers

AMC Pacers were converted to plug-in electric vehicles.[27]
Electric Vehicle Associates (EVA) was best known for its Change of Pace models a built- to-order adaptation of the Pacer that was priced at US$12,360 in 1978.[28] The company converted well over 100 units.[29] First available in the sedan version, power came from eighteen 6-volt lead–acid batteries to a 15 kW series DC motor with a three-speed automatic transmission.[30] The EVA Change of Pace sedan weighed 3,990 lb (1,810 kg) and reached 55 miles per hour (89 km/h) with a 53-mile (85 km) range.[29]
Later, a wagon version had twenty batteries housed in two-packs (front and rear), with a 26 kW (at 3,000 rpm) motor, and the car was complete in every detail down to a gas heater.[31] The electric Pacer wagon was one of the more expensive cars at US$14,000.[32] The Lead Industry Association (LIA) sponsored a tour for government and industry officials that featured an EVA Pacer wagon.[33] Consolidated Edison in New York City purchased 40 modified AMC Pacers from EVA.[34] The United States Army also included EVA Pacers in its inventory of special purpose electric vehicles.[35]

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't but I just can't help myself. I think Pacers are uglier than crap. They are so ugly that if one drove by a shitwagon full of chowing down vultures the vultures would all start gagging and fly away when they saw the Pacer.:smile::smile:
this.

and they're not 'so ugly they're cute', they're just ugly.
With a capital Ug.

-
Back