Someone's home but the lights aren't on...

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
Here's the deal..
'72 Dart Instrument cluster issue

-Copper runs are clean, bulb sockets are clean, bulbs are good, Voltage Reg is new, all ohm and continuity checks passed.
-Main dash harness connector is clean and tight, continuity from connector ends to farthest end of copper run is good.
-Circuit board to metal cluster body screws to steering column have continuity, indicating good ground.
-Turn signal indicators work.
-High Beam indicator works.
-Oil Pressure warning indicator light works.
-Parking Brake light works.

-Instrument illumination lights DO NOT WORK.

Ideas?

Mopar "did a trick" with the headlight switch

The headlight switch is 2 separate circuits

The headlights themselves get power UNFUSED from the "in harness" splice, which Y's off from the ammeter circuit, supplies the power to the IGN switch, the headlight switch, and the fusebox hot buss

Now the TAILIGHTS and DASH lights come FROM a fuse in the box, back to the switch, and that fuse supplies power for park, tail, and instrument.

BUT the OUTPUT of the dash light dimmer goes TO ANOTHER fuse in the box (inst fuse) before it goes to the lamps.

So if the tail/ park lamps work, the circuit is getting power

Could be a bad dashlight dimmer, a bad inst. fuse or bad connections in the fuse box, or the pin on the PC board supplying power to the dash lights

DO ANY other "dimmed" lights work, light the PRNDL indicator, the heater switch or the radio?

It is still possible that the dimmer part is faulty. Refer to 67Dart 273's post. He is far more knowledgeable about electrical issue than I am.

~Michael

Have the same problem in my 73 Dart. All other lights work and even indicator lights. I was told to replace dimmer switch. So, probably the same problem...

My 97 4x4 has an issue with the dash lights also.Try turning the headlight switch back and forth to see if you can find a good spot that connects.They have that spring thing deal that increases the brightness as you turn it but some times they get corroded and you have to FIND the right spot.

Can you turn the dome light on still when turning the knob all the way?

That really does not prove much. Separate switch, separate function

My 97 4x4 has an issue with the dash lights also.Try turning the headlight switch back and forth to see if you can find a good spot that connects.They have that spring thing deal that increases the brightness as you turn it but some times they get corroded and you have to FIND the right spot.

VERY good point

Get a test light/ meter get down to the fuse box and find the inst. fuse. It will be the smallest fuse in the box if you can't read the markings. With dimmer turned to left (bright) and park / tail lights on, probe BOTH sides of the fuse to see if you have power

If yes the switch/ dimmer is OK. If you have it on one side, not the other, the fuse is bad or the clips or connections in the fuse box are bad.

You can download a free shop manual here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Here's a partial shot of the diagram. Notice the fuse at the far right. The top of the fuse is getting power FROM the dash dimmer, the bottom of the fuse is FEEDING power TO the dash lights

Generally, ORANGE wires are dash lamp power from the dimmer. If you search for the radio connector, you should find a two prong connector, one is orange.

343m5jd.jpg

If the shift indicator lamp and/or radio dial lamp works the headlight switch is working.
Once in a while someone will post about whats not really a problem. This is because the light inside the instrument panel is very difficult to see in daylight.

If the shift indicator lamp and/or radio dial lamp works the headlight switch is working.
Once in a while someone will post about whats not really a problem. This is because the light inside the instrument panel is very difficult to see in daylight.

He posted above, evidently does not have the shift or radio lamps hooked up.

Great news! I changed out the switch and bingo, dash lights up. Along with my Sunpro and Hurst Promatic base, (Which I forgot lit up). On to the next little problem.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

:blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob:

-
Back