something binding? need help

-

B.D.A.

Reaction score
hello,just put a set of poly u.c.a. bushings,stock rubber l.c.a. bushings,poly strut arm bushings in my 73 dart,now when i adjust torsion bars to a ride height where the fender is above the top of the tire,if i back out of my garage and over a bump the car lowers itself way down,if i jack the car back up,it holds the ride height fine even if i bounce up and down on it( no shocks in it) but when i back up over this bump on the way out of my garage it happens again.tosion bar mounts at the crossmember are not moving and are not rusted,any one have any thoughts? thanks marty.

no,but since it went down i adjusted it up with the weight on and it looked good till i backed up over this bump and pulled it back in over the bump again?

Just keep adjusting it till it holds because it's not the bushings causing it.
The car needs to be moved and rechecked every time the torsion bars are adjusted.

Make sure your rear T bar sockets are not twisting just in case.

Get it aligned with the proper toe setting. If this is wrong it WILL pull the front end down. I didn't believe it until I saw it on my son's Barracuda many years ago.

Bouncing up and down on the front end won't settle the suspension, it has to actually roll. I usually make a lap around the block and see where it sets after that, then make any adjustments I need to the torsion bars. Also, you want to make sure there's no weight on the wheels when you're turning the torsion bar adjusters.

Get it aligned with the proper toe setting. If this is wrong it WILL pull the front end down. I didn't believe it until I saw it on my son's Barracuda many years ago.

Yep, been there.

Bouncing up and down on the front end won't settle the suspension, it has to actually roll. I usually make a lap around the block and see where it sets after that, then make any adjustments I need to the torsion bars. Also, you want to make sure there's no weight on the wheels when you're turning the torsion bar adjusters.

Exactly.
I guess I didn't make that very clear the way I wrote it, sorry.

The ride height is actually an alignment setting. ALL alignment settings are technically SUPPOSED to be done on either turn plates or slip plates to allow the tires to move laterally.

-
Back