"Something in the Orange"

-
View attachment 1715552138
ok so I know about the 15# spec and lock tight, but I still get a scalloped oil pan! Mine had been on for a few years before starting to leak. In a moment of weakness I just tacked them up and bent the rails. So, I made these. Am I on crack? They sell ‘em for fords!
these worked out pretty great actually!

upload_2020-6-6_11-1-46-jpeg.jpg

I could have prep'd these better (hindsight being 20/20)!

1690221027106.png

New radiator, old overflow/cool can/air horn pump .... Don't remember when the chrome box ECU showed up. (?)

crank.JPG

Back in post 51 I alluded to having some trouble with my "new to me" 340 and learned it needed a line hone. Well the machine shop in Conroe tells me that my crankshaft is worn out. I figured it was related to my two attempts at running it after my end cap was jury rigged. Not sure how it got past the shop in Florida though or what would have been so difficult to make the crank work. I made a quick attempt to see if an original crank was out there but in the heat of battle, I just ordered a forged kit with smaller pistons and told them to sleeve the block and get on with it. That was the day my 340 became a 372 due to the 3.58 stroke and 4.070 pistons. I went with a Comp XE275HL flat tappet cam.
1-48005BI-Chrysler-340-Rot-Assy-4340-Forged-Std-Wt-ProSeries-scaled.jpg the SCAT 1-48005BI kit showed up right away, the cam took quite a bit longer. One of those sourcing casualties at the height of the pandemic they tell me...

IMG_0158.JPG

well it came back to life but there were a few problems. First Zero oil pressure - shut it down and tried to prime it again

DSC_0005 - Copy.JPG I found that the oil pump was no good. I had to fight the new crank off of that Dynamic TC so on the return trip back in I shaved a bit off of the converter....
TC.JPG

TCbit.JPG

Im all about it. I build mine to enjoy. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s mine. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter how nice or original old a body mopars the only get car show attention from those that love em. Park near a Camaro or mustang and 80% of people will look right past it. I don’t care I love ‘em I think yours is outstanding in orange. Keep the pics coming.

Oil pressure is good but fought to find initial timing this combo would accept. After fighting with it for awhile I came to the conclusion that the motor was just way too lean. This new combo is thirsty!

increased squirters from 27 to 31 up front and from 31 to 35 in the back and added a 50cc accelerator pump on the secondary side. I started with a "high volume" mechanical gas pump but for whatever reason found that my old Carter seemed to just keep the pressure up better.

And then there was the speedmaster intake someone talked me into. I could never quite prove my stumble was from it but as soon as it started leaking water from those bolt plugs and oil from the "china wall" I took it back to the guy that sold it to me. It's still there under "consignment" I'm sure. Went with the Eidlebrock and never looked back... Well until just now, but i'll won't again, promise!

DSC_0158.JPG

Last edited:
Park near a Camaro or mustang and 80% of people will look right past it.

Nearly 200 cars at our local show last weekend and there might have been 4 mopars between '65-'75. I will just have to get mine cleaned up and presentable next year I reckon! Better yet I may have to start some sort of cruise night for street hardened machines. You don't see many camaros or mustangs on the road any more. Now I say that and think, when was the last time you saw one of these in their native habitat?...

DSC_0238 - Copy.JPG

This was the following spring ('21) with my son in Groveton Tx getting the last of the bugs out of the new combo.

Used a fistfull of the kid's playdough (stuff he left out or mixed the colors all up) to squish between the hood and a board I placed on top of the carburetor. The Edelbrock air gap had things resting a little high in there. The results showed that i needed less spacer under the carb and some air filter base modifications.

I had some issues with electrical connections around the ballast resistor and I ended up rewiring everything between the ignition, alternator, and the ECU. I also broke the sensor on that old mechanical temperature gauge so I swapped it with an electronic one and ditched my weird plumbing mod. mentioned in post #47.

D8EC4EE1-049E-467F-81DF-DACDD64CFE7C.jpeg

The air filter base mods to clear the carb I spoke of. By the looks of the crud on the hood, it’s still tight in there.

Ray’s Drive In, Lufkin has a cruise night every first Saturday of the month. I was telling another member that there were often an early Barracuda or two there.
6EF6A8FF-B697-4416-87A0-778DAC0E1B57.jpeg

I took the family quite a bit. One time we had to leave the wife’s car there when her key fob stopped working.

C01F7603-033A-4A9B-8F3A-E242F84FEBAE.jpeg

42CD522D-EB95-49A9-9F60-F7A1614C1CB5.jpeg

I had to replace my tachometer early in 2021. While I was in the dash I updated my oil pressure line to the copper pipe. I got it online and some (all) of the fittings were missing so they just gave me another set?! Hence the extra tubing. I also went with the only plastic old school coil I know to keep it from retaining so much heat.

19rsz (2).jpg

March '21 road test (and fishing expedition) to a bayou between Jasper and Woodville. Notebook contains about a page and a half on fiddling
with idle mixture, vacuum advance, float, and distributor adjustments around this time.

View attachment 1716126110

March '21 road test (and fishing expedition) to a bayou between Jasper and Woodville. Notebook contains about a page and a half on fiddling
with idle mixture, vacuum advance, float, and distributor adjustments around this time.
Damn! I love the color of your car !! Post more photos!!! On my phone, it looks like flames are about to burst out. Keep on moparing!

Appreciate that! The trick there is help from a diffused and setting sun. You can see the shadow of a big cypress cast over the rear wheel well. So the sun is hitting it dead sideways with lots of strange shadows. Any other time all ya see is scratches, chips, and a run or two :rolleyes:. A dozen years ago it was rare but now most manufacturers have a single step orange pearl.

DSC_0002.JPG

The slanted fish started off on a front license plate. Here it is in post #30

IMG_0534.JPG
Texas requires both plates.

It is kinda in place of the car's missing fender tag.

0147A28A-E261-4C78-A5C4-114D7EEE1470.jpeg

I got an opportunity to get back to Pinevalley in April. I learned that I should not attempt to adjust the timing for the track (the hard way) and that the tires were still making contact with the quarter panel. The track was under different management too. TNT dates, tech inspection, and prep were very different. Procured my front badge and racing harness with a current date on it!

I finally figured out that the wheel opening was not right from that repair way back in post #10. Before I took it to the track again, I carefully cut a sliver out of the quarter panel ahead of the inner lip and then tacked the lip to it's new location and covered the "incision" with a little bondo and touch up paint.

oilfiltr.JPG slight mod to my oil filter base too. I spent the most time trying to figure out how to mount...

seats2.JPG

seats.JPG

tandem baby seats. I ended up removing the back seat and mounting them to the floor at some point. We had another baby in May '21 and I drove them to daycare like this for more than a year.

795B20B3-6DEE-488A-BF2A-BA3EAA5BB873.jpeg

View attachment 1715873002

View attachment 1715873003 View attachment 1715873004

back to that turn signal switch- parts and a puller came in during the week. All going ok until I tried to sneak the wires back down the column. I found a speed bump in the wiring trough. Someone must have bent it "out of the way" at some point.
Finally fixed that wonky horn.

Put in a new headlight switch, cleaned up the fuse box, and replaced the missing water barrier. Office moved from Livingston to Lufkin during the pandemic so no more hour long runs to work anymore. Used the cool can alot that summer but it melted quick. I found small gel packs lasted the longest especially with some water in the can too.

-
Back