Somethings bad?

-

DOUGIE800

Reaction score
I wired In a MSD6AL-2 this weekend well last week just got it running yesterday. But went for a run today to test how it feels, but not long after leaving my house smelt faint electrial smoke and charging gauge was all the way to the right figured battery was low from screwing around last few days. Popped the hood felt around everything seems fine nothing real hot . Now stopped and got fuel and noticed something right away. For ever my fuel gauge would only go to 7/8's when full. But it went all the way to full this time? Then the ride home I noticed a faint puff of smoke from under my dash, quickly pulled over and got my fire extigusher out. Temp/ALT gauge/FUEL gauge all went all the way to the right also this is main concern? Under the hoods fine and made it home. Now my concern Is I had to run a juice wire from battery under my dash to a toggle for the MSD to run. Now Im going to check under the dash for a short but thought I would ask someone on here. Now do you need to upgrade the Voltage Regulator when Using A MSD? My Battery seemed very hot once I got home. The new toggle did not feel hot but thinking somethins Not right from what I did? D

Did all this happen just after wiring the Msd or did you do something else as well?What regulator is on it?I would assume it should have the newer style already.Are you running it through the ballast resistor?Original amp guage still in use?

Yes all this happened since the MSD, As for the Voltage Regulator havent changed it in the last 15 years maybe more. Its not the OE tho. The Ballist was removed MSD sais to by pass it, maybe I was to keep it hooked up and not run the Ignition thru it?. Found A melted/phucked strand of major wires behind the dash great, will post a pic in a few:mad::angry3:And yes OE amp gauge also

Thinking done for the year now, Can one order buy a complete wiring harness from some where?

DSCN1826.jpg

DSCN1827.jpg

Ya,you got a mess there!I would definatly buy a harness.Amp guage still hooked up,get rid of it in the process.Wire your Msd independenly from everything else,(power wire to battery,trigger to starter relay then toggle,or both)If you have a problem you dont have to go through everything else to
find it and you dont have your ignition running through all that old wiring.Honestly,i have never seen a Msd melt things down like what you have,almost has to be something else to cause it.Check you bulkhead wiring as well.

Do a search on wiring,there are a few aftermarket harnesses available discussed on here.I wired mine strand by strand,time consuming and overall probably not worth the effort but i dont have a stock dash so i would have had to done it anyways for the most part.

Yes was looking YEARONE has some stuff I will problably need, but they are closed now. So A ballist resister is only required for the ignition correct? I took It off and wired my MSD from the battery to a toggle under the dash, and back to the box. I tried running it off the two blue wires that went to one side of the Ballist but it wouldnt run the MSD. So just left them loose but cut them short not to short out cause there was keyed power there. Is/was this a mistake of mine? Do you know. My battery was very Hot and could smell it and it was over pouring water so It was over charging. The wires I put thru the fire wall to the toggle all seem to be fine And were all insulated well thru a gromet D

There are other sources for harnesses other then Year one,they are usually higher on there product.You need to go through your electrical system to see if you have another problem,with this episode you have had im sure your going to have other problems now,wires melted together are never good.The ballist you dont need with the Msd and you should have the later model voltage regulator(flat,square with a triangle plug)Go to mad electrical on the net,that will show how to get past the amp meter.

Hot battery is overcharging or a direct short,with what you have going on could be either or,(back to the melted wiring).

So Removing and not using the Ballist resistor had nothing to do with this then? I took It off and removed the two blue wires cut them short, and then the same with the two light brown ones. "The dead short that scares me". Yes I noticed when I pulled my dash The fuel gauge arm Is missing I bet I did a real number. This Is gona suck I know it. D

Dont worry about,fix it and get rid of the problems,amp guage for one!I went through all this last year on mine,not the problems you have,but another problem child.I justed started over,40 yr wiring i'm sure it was ready to be replaced anyways,and i have peace of mind now.

Have your alt. and regulator checked too at a parts store,just to make sure they were not damaged.And take your bulkhead connector apart,more then likely you will find a problem there for what you have going on.

And again,do a search here,tons of useful information and most will walk you through step by step.Doesnt hurt to have a service manual handy either!
Good luck!

Running wires from the battery directly to toggle switches or anything else is NOT a good plan.

Hmm Can you you explain what i shoulda done just for my Info, cause thought this was the way to do it? D

I run the 12v constant from the starter relay,and the switched power from the starter relay to a toggle,then to the box.You can use fusible links at the relay or inline fuses.My 12v constant goes straight to the relay,fusible link at the switched power wire.Sorry,should have made that clear.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml
For the ammeter bypass.Also check below.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=45827
When your bypassing the ammeter,do what they say here,run it to the starter
relay and get rid of the wiring going inside the car(use a voltmeter)

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/
Wiring diagram if you dont have a service manual,these are easier to follow though,everything is color coded.

http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/6530_instructions.pdf?terms=6AL
Double check,they had the mopar instructions backwards for a while.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18
Some more wiring diagrams.

I once shorted a hot wire under the dahhs of my Dad's 56 Mercury....when I was installing a trunk release I think it was....Anyways, shorted a wire and before I knew it the whole car was billowing smoke.....coming from the whole width of the dash...disconnected the battery and saw what I thought was a huge mess.

Turns out just one wire in the harness was melted.....was able to seperate the wire out and rewrapped the melted insulation section......car was fine from then on.

One wire made a LOT of smoke.

Probably not the best way to fix the damage....just saying that it may not be as huge a mess as you think.....

You may be able to ge tby replacing one or two wires...or maybe not. But it may be worth poking around a bit to see....worst that could come of it is you end up replaing the harness anyways.

FWIW.

Hmmmmmmm..... looks like you could have used a fuse or two in line or at least a fuseable link here and there.

Yeah Guess Will have to get busy and pull It out and see what I have. Thanks D

great advice from cudajim and redfish....... in a perfect world.Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to fix it, even if it's temporary. Hang in there dougie,you'll eventually get it fixed. it's probably something simple such as a ground problem.

-
Back