Sometimes brand loyalty really sucks....

-
It looks like the review was put together by your friendly Honda dealer so where is the bias .....I would believe it more from a neutral third party.

The civic is probably better than the dart but I still wouldn't take the Honda dealer's word for it.

New Hondas are nothing like the old ones. Quality has fell a bit short of the "Honda standard", but still very reliable cars. They both look the same, I'd probably go with the civic and enjoy my steel 2dr Dart with a V8 !!

It looks like the review was put together by your friendly Honda dealer so where is the bias .....I would believe it more from a neutral third party.

It was. I went to the Dodge and Honda dealers yesterday, to look into it for her, and the add is correct. The Honda IS a better value, more bang for the buck, and an excellent history, too.

I did see a used 2013 Dart on the Dodge lot, it was $14,031.00 with 28K miles on it, but the service records on it sucked. A lot of shop time in 1+ years for only 28,000 miles. I told my daughter to avoid that car like the plague.

The civic is probably better than the dart...

That's the way things are shaping up. I'd love to recommend the Dodge, but it just can't compete.

can she check with ferd???

As much as I hate to agree that the dart is probably a good one to run away from ......is it possible to give American pride one last shot.

My adoptive family buys nothing but Ford and the newer cars are pretty good. They have a bunch of Taurus cars ranging from 2003-2011 with 200+K miles and never had any big issues with them.

I don't know about the smaller car lines but if the bigger cars are a reflection, then it shouldn't be too bad

can she check with ferd???

She is. She's checking with all the manufacturers. She has no brand loyalty ( which I view as a good thing). She's very open minded and is shopping all the cars. Price isn't the main criteria, either. Dependability, cost of ownership, mpg's, repair costs, etc. all matter to her, and I love it. Unfortunately, the Dart ranks pretty low when compared to many of the other brands. I believe she only considered it because of me.

As much as I hate to agree that the dart is probably a good one to run away from ......is it possible to give American pride one last shot.

My adoptive family buys nothing but Ford and the newer cars are pretty good. They have a bunch of Taurus cars ranging from 2003-2011 with 200+K miles and never had any big issues with them.

I don't know about the smaller car lines but if the bigger cars are a reflection, then it shouldn't be too bad

In the 90's and early 2000's we had a few Saturns, mostly because my son worked thee and gave me great prices on them. I've heard all the BS about them and how crappy they were from all the MoPar, Chevy, and Ford gear heads, and even from the Honda, toyota and Nissan crowds. The fact is, the three Saturns we had, (two Sc2 Coupes, and one Ion 3) were excellent cars. Exceptionally reliable, great economy, and and never a break down ( other than a bad battery) in our ownership history.

All three were purchased new, two of them we sold off, one at 330,000 miles on the original engine and drive train with ZERO mechanical repairs, and another we sold at 292,000 miles, again with no major repairs other than replacing the A/C compressor. The 3rd one we still have, it's a 2006 Ion 3. Presently the car has about 60,000 miles on it, and my daughter owns it. It has absolutely no issues, either, and except for not having leather seats, the car is loaded.

She plans to keep it even after buying a new car. She lives about 5 hours from here, and besides normal maintenance and insurance, the car doesn't cost her anything. I told here it would be a good idea to have a second car available, to her, especially one that runs so well and is that reliable.

The 2006 Ion is a 4 door, fwd, 4 cylinder, she's looking for a 2 door model. After she decides on a car, I told her that I would give her the trade in value of the Saturn to use as, or to add to her down payment on the new car, so she could afford to keep both cars.

really seems like the new dart is repeating history of the neon. The neon was a fun peppy little car that was easy on the eye and still a mopar....kinda .......but they were JUNK!!! and not very safe either.

Its a shame

I really liked the first year Neons, Cheap transportation, but, I rarely buy anything during it's first year of production. I always wait to see what reliability is like. Needless to say, it wasn't good, and it improved ever so slightly over the course of it's run.
I do think they should have called the New Dart a Neon II, though, instead of defiling the name "Dodge Dart" with that Alpha Romeo thing.

I had a 95 ferd ranger ( little pickup) with stick, some 4 banging, dual coil foreign made engine, it had 335,000 still got 25 mpg and barely ran, I assume it needed a cam but maybe just tuneup!??? when I let a guy BUY IT TO FIX FOR HISSELF...LOL he'a probably still drivin it and getting 25!!!

Honda?

I'd put a modern Sonata up against it any day of the week for reliability and repair costs.

Seriously.

Or a Ford Fusion. Damn nice cars.

I had a 95 ferd ranger ( little pickup) with stick, some 4 banging, dual coil foreign made engine, it had 335,000 still got 25 mpg and barely ran, I assume it needed a cam but maybe just tuneup!??? when I let a guy BUY IT TO FIX FOR HISSELF...LOL he'a probably still drivin it and getting 25!!!

Not everything is made to be a hot rod. If a car is good at what it's supposed to be economical transportation, Great. Then it's a good car, even if it's slow as crap. To be a good car, it needs to be reliable, economical, and safe, and good at what it's designed to be. That might not include being a performance car, or truck.

If you want something that's fast and quick and powerful, perhaps you should not be looking at basic transportation vehicles.

That engine was 100% Ford: the 2.3 Lima, as used in the Pinto, Mustang, and turbo T-birds! Only major change was a EFI in the 80's and a dual-plug head added around 1994.

I'm not sure where these reviews of the Dart are coming from but my neighbor bought a 2013 Dart after owning Jaguars, Infinity's, and BMW's and he loves the new Dart. He drives almost 100mi per day for work and it gets great mileage and has never been back to the shop!!!

I'm not sure where these reviews of the Dart are coming from but my neighbor bought a 2013 Dart after owning Jaguars, Infinity's, and BMW's and he loves the new Dart. He drives almost 100mi per day for work and it gets great mileage and has never been back to the shop!!!

The reviews are based on the cars, in General. The overall performance of the model, not each individual car. There may very well be many Darts that are excellent vehicles, however, there is a disproportionate number that are not, or have a high degree of issues. That doesn't mean that every single one will have issues.

The trouble with that is you stand a higher chance of getting a bad one than you would another brand of car that has a better reliability history.

Good luck to your friend. I wish him the best.

btw, I've owned a couple of Jags in my personal history, and until Ford took them over, their reliability factor was in the basement. I've owned 2 XJ 6's and one XJS V12. Great cars when they were running. The are attention whores, though.

Now that I own a Subaru Impreza Premium (the replacement for our BMW 328 Wagon driver/family car), I'm sold on Subaru.

I've driven an Impreza, and it is, indeed, impressive. We leased a Legacy a while back, had it for two years. It went back to the dealer for oil changes and tire rotations, Great car. IMO.

dual coil? must be talking about the 4 cylinder Pinto motor with EFI. swapped one of these motors into an 83 Ranger I had....motor had 100k on it when I put it in the truck...we put 120k on it, gave it to a friend he went 45k before giving it to someone else...who went another 90k on it...tough little motor....

Frank the new Fiesta is getting great reviews.

-
Back