Sometimes I wonder why offer my skills

-

Greasyfingers

Reaction score
Brother-in-law decided he wanted a Scout (bronco's are too expensive). Went out and bought this thing without really knowing what he was looking at. Now I get to finish and re-do the previous owners "custom work".
IMG_20210619_113558578.jpg
IMG_20210619_113527850.jpg
IMG_20210617_184159237.jpg

I looked at buying a '78 Scout II for $800 about 3 decades ago (or more). I was told it needed a starter. There was a farm supply type place that sold brand new International Harvester equipment, and had sold International Scouts/trucks & such in the past. I gave them a call to price a starter.

"Which starter does it have?" he asked.
"The one that came on the 348 engine, 'cause that's what it has", I replied.
"Yea, but which one? There are 7 listings."
"Well, if one fits, don't they all?"
"No."
"How can that be?? Did they change the block at some point in time mid-production?"
"Look; they list 7 starters, 5 dash harnesses, 9 alternators... Basically IH put out bids and took the lowest bidder. When they were running low on inventory, they put out bids. They notoriously switched vendors sometimes on a monthly basis. I need to know which starter you need."

I opted not to buy the Scout.

I looked at buying a '78 Scout II for $800 about 3 decades ago (or more). I was told it needed a starter. There was a farm supply type place that sold brand new International Harvester equipment, and had sold International Scouts/trucks & such in the past. I gave them a call to price a starter.

"Which starter does it have?" he asked.
"The one that came on the 348 engine, 'cause that's what it has", I replied.
"Yea, but which one? There are 7 listings."
"Well, if one fits, don't they all?"
"No."
"How can that be?? Did they change the block at some point in time mid-production?"
"Look; they list 7 starters, 5 dash harnesses, 9 alternators... Basically IH put out bids and took the lowest bidder. When they were running low on inventory, they put out bids. They notoriously switched vendors sometimes on a monthly basis. I need to know which starter you need."

I opted not to buy the Scout.
Sorry the guy behind the counter gave you such ridiculous info, and that you accepted it. And the motor is a 345 ci
I spent a good portion of my early carrier around the manufacturing-assembly of those IH Scout and pick up motors. I can guarantee you that IH was not modifying the starter mounting position and / or the flywheel teeth and or the starter wiring harness to fit starters from different suppliers. I remember the starters being AC Delco units. And the starter mounts-flywheels were identical for the Scouts and pick up trucks and combines and anything else that IH put what we called the Small V8 into.
A good source of IH vehicle and motor info is at a forum called Binder Planet.
And I just looked at RockAuto, for a 1978 Scout II with a 345 they show 4 reman starters and 1 new starter and any of them will fit.

Last edited:
They are super cool, but rust traps.

I must admit I made up numbers to make the point, but I specifically remember being told that there were several starters available for that Scout (yes, 345 not 348) and that some could interchange, but some couldn't. He also told me that there were several wiring harnesses used throughout the vehicle, and that other parts were used based on successful bids and changed throughout the model year.

With that said, you could be right and this guy could have mis-read the factory manuals he had from when he was selling the stuff new. (Or more likely, my memory sucks so badly that I'm mixing stories with something else that really happened!)

I would and have charged my inlaws for their stupidity. If you do it, you will always be DOING IT. Work is not free, even family, real family gets a deal. Inlaws not so much.

Definitely a discounted rate not a freebie. Just trying to keep them from burying themselves in this thing. The local shop rate around here would make the dash install probably over $1500 in labor alone.

Shockingly this thing is pretty much rust free. Well, except for surface rust on the top.

I had a 72 Scout years ago. It was a rusty pile, so knew where to look on this thing.

Cut bait and list it on Craigslist. The work will never end otherwise. Like buying a basket case on your first resto. Better to get a complete car and do it as you have time.

Definitely a discounted rate not a freebie. Just trying to keep them from burying themselves in this thing. The local shop rate around here would make the dash install probably over $1500 in labor alone.

Shockingly this thing is pretty much rust free. Well, except for surface rust on the top.

I had a 72 Scout years ago. It was a rusty pile, so knew where to look on this thing.

I yall found a solid one, you better hold to it.

-
Back