sometimes it sparks,sometimes it dont=bad ECU?

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
ok,i posted my stalling problem in the fuel thread,but now I may have a ignition problem.The engine starts fine cold,then after awhile it stalls and dies.Today,it did that and I plugged in a spark tester(the kind that looks like a plug and shows a spark jump across)and I was not getting a spark.I also tried using a test lamp ,the ground lead on the (-) side of the coil,and the end of the test light on a ground .I cranked it and the test light did not flicker on and off.So I waited a few hours and a little while ago,I went out and tried it again and now I have spark.Symptom of a failing module?:shock:The coil is ok.I even tried an extra good coil and still nothing.

check the air gap on your reluctor inside the distributor also..

.008 with brass feeler gauge

just had this same prob...check voltage readings on all primary ignition. look for whether you are getting a reading to the dist or not. i had intermittent readings, was a wire in prim. ig. then i had a fuel delivery issue which is most likely due to tank needing a flush, but don't forget to check fuel filter if you still get stalls after fixing ignition issue.

You could ohms check the dist. pick-up. 150 - 900 ohms. Make sure the ECU has a very good ground as well.

Check for a short. Kinda sounds like the ballast resistor is overheating. When it cools down it starts then dies when it overheats(?).

-
Back