Songs that don't get airtime

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Well, we've got threads on Overrated and Underrated bands. How about one for the lesser played songs from known bands that only get a select few songs played (repeatedly).

So here's one to those songs that should get some airtime, but don't. I'll start it off.

A couple from BOC's forgotten Imaginos album. You'll never hear a single song from this album on any radio station, even BOC themselves ignore everything from this album during their live shows.

This is the best version, hands down (my opinion) of Astronomy, yet it never gets airtime, because it's from the Imaginos album

And we'll end my opening with some Cinderella. Which the only 2 songs they ever seem to play are Nobody's Fool and Gypsy Road

Here's one by Cheap Trick. I actually have heard it ONCE on the radio, so maybe it doesn't qualify, but it's rare.

Because you ain't seen nothing yet. Fred is in rare form.

Because we're an American band.

Unfortunately, this thread could be a million miles long.

I can think of several songs from Bob Seger and the Silverbullet Band beyond Nite Moves, Against the Wind, Old Time Rock and Roll that are more deserving of air play than those songs.

Even Now is one them. The internet has been scrubbed of that song thanks to Seger being a hold out against streaming. One crappy promotional live video is all that exists on youtube. His iHeart, Spotify, and iTunes catalog is very limited.

But this also comes back to the RIAA. Radio stations have to pay a licensing fee to play the songs they do, dictated by the RIAA. (Why do you think the modern pop stations seem to only have like five songs in the playlist? Those are the songs the RIAA wants to promote and charge a minimum for as a result, those are the songs that get played ad nasium to the point that you've heard it ten times a day and get sick of it quickly. Even the supposed Top 40 stations don't play the entire top 40, maybe just ten.)

When a station has to play songs that bring in listeners and the ad revenue that goes with it, they aren't going to pay for the B-side of the single.

That being said, here's Even Now. A lot less polished than the studio version which came some years after this live version.

Some songs are just album filler to complete a contract, heck some albums are the same thing. Its no wonder that some songs are slated to be "singles" so as to support an album. Bad Religion made an album (Into the Unknown) that they NEVER played anything from in concert...until like 20 years later it was so bad. I like Shoo-be-doo by Cars, its always played pre Candy-O but it makes a nice intro. great album, but those guys sold out fast and went down for me at least. We have a radio station here in LA, (the sound) that plays some DEEP cuts very late, and on sunday morning. Great station, they stream on line. Live

Soul stripper by AC/DC.

Some songs are just album filler to complete a contract, heck some albums are the same thing. Its no wonder that some songs are slated to be "singles" so as to support an album. Bad Religion made an album (Into the Unknown) that they NEVER played anything from in concert...until like 20 years later it was so bad. I like Shoo-be-doo by Cars, its always played pre Candy-O but it makes a nice intro. great album, but those guys sold out fast and went down for me at least. We have a radio station here in LA, (the sound) that plays some DEEP cuts very late, and on sunday morning. Great station, they stream on line. Live

Soul stripper by AC/DC.

You should try 101.5 KOCI out of Newport.

You should try 101.5 KOCI out of Newport.
Yeah, those guys get pretty deep too, but its a mash up of genres in 3 hour time slots. Plus the walkie-talkie like 42 watts of power doesn't help range wise but they stream too. I have a pic of my little boy scout sitting behind their mic with the DJ phones on and reading a paper.

Rush - The Camera Eye - great song, but too long to get any air time... Compares New York City to London...

Another Rush song all instrumental - La Villa Strangiato... Another too long to get airplay...

-
Back