Sore, bruised and bummed!! Motorcycle gone!

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well folks I had a bad encounter with someones rocking chair yesterday.

I was on my motorcycle and I was behind a Dodge ram carrying a rocking chair. As I was on the on-ramp to I-15, accelerating to the merge lane I saw the chair fly out the back of the truck. I was going about 50 mph at that time and I was about 2 1/2 to 3 car lengths behind him.

It didn't matter, it happened so fast all I can do was try to swerve and hit the brakes, the chair ended up bouncing towards where I swerved and you guess it I slammed into it. After that the bike fishtailed to its side and I was catapulted off the bike 10 -15 feet and tumbled another 10 or so feet.

I can't stress enough how important it is for people to strap their loads down securely!

The whole left side of the bike is smashed up, brand new windscreen shattered, floor boards and shifters are all crumpled up on that side as well.

Glad to hear that you escaped without serious injury!! Rocking chair?? That guy should be put in one!

I had a helmet from a biker in front of me come off and bounce into oncoming traffic, right under the wheel of a truck and shoot right into the gas tank of my bike! A couple inches and a little less luck and my knee wouldve been shattered!! Count us both very lucky!! Geof

Did they guy with the rocker stop? had something similar happen, caused damage to my car. Guy stopped, realized what happened, said he was going to get his info and blasted off.

Did they guy with the rocker stop? had something similar happen, caused damage to my car. Guy stopped, realized what happened, said he was going to get his info and blasted off.

Yeah he stopped, and told the Highway patrol that it was his fault and that he takes full responsibility.

I wore a full armored jacket and helmet, if I hadn't I probably would've been awarded a free ambulance ride.

It still smarts like no other lemme tell you.

I'm kinda in a big decision right now. I'm thinking of hanging up the riding bit for quite awhile (possibly forever) I have a 22 month old child and I'm thinking I am not going to put my wife through that loss.
Her ex-husband threw her to the curb when she was pregnant with her first son years ago. (I have one son and two stepsons aged 16 and 18. )

Commuted on a bike for a long time....had to doge all sorts of interesting things....shovel came off a concrete contractors truck, hit the ground went over me and speared the hood of the car behind me. Toilets & asphalt at 70mph is a bad combo. Extension ladders spinning like a top can be kind of mesmerizing..

Is your bike fixable or is it too far gone?

Commuted on a bike for a long time....had to doge all sorts of interesting things....shovel came off a concrete contractors truck, hit the ground went over me and speared the hood of the car behind me. Toilets & asphalt at 70mph is a bad combo. Extension ladders spinning like a top can be kind of mesmerizing..

Is your bike fixable or is it too far gone?

It is fixable, but I am thinking of fixing it up and then giving it to my father or sell it to someone who will enjoy it.

Sorry to hear about this.

glad you were able to "walk away", but sorry about the pain.

My parents (mom especially) wouldn't let us ride any motorcycles/mini bikes etc because of the dangers. That was many years ago. Now as an adult, I don't blame her. Too many things can happen on a motorcycle. It may not even be your fault. Someone else's mistake can take you out. I have the same police with my boys now, no motorcycles, cars only.

I know too many people who have had accidents and gotten injured real bad. One guy in out high school lost his leg below the knee. With the way people are today, it's not worth chancing. Especially these Bozo's that talk/text while driving. they will hit anything, and sometimes even kill themselves from not paying attention.

Where was an accident here a few years back where a teenage girl ran into a woman on a motorcycle waiting for a red light. She didn't even see her and slammed into her. She told the police that she "was doing her nails" while driving. She killed the woman on the motorcycle.

I don't blame you for wanting to give up the bike. I would also. You need to be there for your family. I'm sure that they are fun to ride, but not worth the risk.

Good to know you're safe.
I'm a believer in 4 wheels, I wanted a bike until I nearly hit one I didn't see. That was it for me. I have nothing against them or people who ride them, but they're just not my thing.
I'm sure I'd be scraping my pants out if I were you.

I was a member of a riding club for years. I really enjoyed riding. Be we were always aware It wasn't a question of if But when you will have an accident riding. The question was how bad. I too started a family. Seeing friends and acquaintances getting injured riding was enough to convince me to sell my bike to fund my barracuda. I miss riding, especially now that the weather is getting nice.

glad your alright. I dumped my bike 15 years ago. can still see the scars.
I haven't rode since.

glad you walked away. Just heard this afternoon that a couple I know were T-boned by a truck yesterday and are both on life support in Bham as a result. Not looking good for them. I still suffer from a bike accident in 1972 which pretty much ended my bike riding. You were lucky this time. Glad you will be ok, bike can be fixed, Joe

they are fun to ride, but not worth the risk.

Could get dead getting out of bed tomorrow....does this mean you will not get out of bed? For me it is more than just "fun", it is about freedom. Truly sorry I started on the Dart....should have just stayed with a bike. Not denying they are dangerous. If you think you will never crash, that you are invincible than riding is not for you. Every time I hit the start button I get a bit of a rush...it is a mix of fear and adrenaline. My mother side were all bikers. My Uncle George once told me that the day I do not have the least bit of fear of riding is the day I need to stop....which is the very reason I did stop riding several years ago....But it did not last long...

Glad you are ok. What kind of bike were you on?

A metric cruiser. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Here it is (before the accident obviously)

I painted it myself, it is (was) tangelo pearl:

Attachments

• 240321_1862568137666_3244715_o.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 284
Yeah he stopped, and told the Highway patrol that it was his fault and that he takes full responsibility.

I wore a full armored jacket and helmet, if I hadn't I probably would've been awarded a free ambulance ride.

It still smarts like no other lemme tell you.

I'm kinda in a big decision right now. I'm thinking of hanging up the riding bit for quite awhile (possibly forever) I have a 22 month old child and I'm thinking I am not going to put my wife through that loss.
Her ex-husband threw her to the curb when she was pregnant with her first son years ago. (I have one son and two stepsons aged 16 and 18. )

Glad you are OK! And I believe for now in your life, you are thinking about making a good FAMILY decision! .02

Glad to hear your ok I don't ride a motorcycle personally but I have has several friends get into accidents on them I prefer my 4 wheels contraption the closest I get to a bike is my alcohol drag quad but that's another topic complexly good to hear u r unharmed

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

In 1994 I was 18 and in the Navy, stationed near Memphis, TN, and I flirted with the idea of getting a bike. Then I came across a wreck that changed my mind. A guy on a crotch-rocket t-boned a Ford Probe and went flying. There were pieces of the bike everywhere, and the Probe was off on the side of the road, mangled. I drove past just as the guy's buddy was pulling a jacket up over his friend's head. There was a pool of blood under him too. That scene has haunted me ever since.

I sure am sorry. I am glad you weren't injured any worse. We carry our own garbage out here in the county to recycling centers. I see people all the time going down the road with their loads completely uncovered. People don't give a damn about anything anymore. I always cover my truck with a tarp and tie large items down.....and go SLOW. And still manage to get a DUMBASS riding my bumper......not that you did that, just sayin what happens. People don't even think.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDtEB0ROv8"]Magnum playing "Rocking Chair" live at Bilston on 25th July 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

yup, bikes can be rough
worst trip I ever took of off one was well over a decade ago
I was coming up to an intersection where I had the right of way
the guy driving the van said he never even saw me (but later did tell the cops I was speeding, go figure)
I hit the front of his van so hard my bike was standing up straight in his driverside fender and I went flying
wearing a helmet and still managed to brake my skull in 3 places
also snapped my femur in half, lost 5 pints of blood, internally

first thing I remember after that was waking up, laying on a gurney being rolled down a hospital hallway and a nurse bending over telling me not to worry, we are just heading back into surgery (this was 2 days later, when they set my skull back in place)

with the broken femur it took me six months to learn how to walk again and almost 10 years to convince the wifey I needed another bike

I had an EMU run out in front of my motorcycle one day.
stock-footage-emu-ostrich-like-bird-medium-shot-passing-left-to-right-australia.jpg

Anyways I'm glad you are OK bro. Cant stress enough how you have to be ready for anything on a motorcycle. Never assume that they see you, instead always assume that they don't see you. Never assume a loaded truck has the load secured. Assume that it's not. Expect animals to run out at any time. Expect oil slicks at stop lights. Etc.

Interstates are dangerous places for bikes. BUT TO THE CAR DRIVERS you are also not invulnerable. I-270 shut down here this morning, all lanes blocked southbound, a bad accident bad enough to block a 6 lane highway with person(s) ejected from a vehicle.

Grats on the new baby and the ones growing up strong. Kids are the best thing in life. :D

-
Back