SOS! FMJ Swap issues

-

ultanium

Reaction score
I followed the instructions to a T, got the large UBJ arms from a fellow FABO member, and put everything together but the car cannot turn??? These are new pin type calipers and 11" rotors, but I will have to do some cutting to the lower control arm and bend the stabilizer bar? Anyone done this swap?? Please PM, I'm losing my mind here...

Tommy J.
Houston Tx.

Will not turn? Might want to post some pictures of it all......

I followed the instructions to a T, got the large UBJ arms from a fellow FABO member, and put everything together but the car cannot turn??? These are new pin type calipers and 11" rotors, but I will have to do some cutting to the lower control arm and bend the stabilizer bar? Anyone done this swap?? Please PM, I'm losing my mind here...

Tommy J.
Houston Tx.

Probably front mounted the calipers? You can swap sides on the spindles and rear mount the calipers for more sway bar clearance.

did you put the lower ball joint to spindle screws in from the inside or outside. if you put em.in backwards, they index into rotor and it won't turn.

IMG_20130623_203347_762.jpg

The above pics are of drivers side. Caliper is mounted to the rear, if you turn left, brake hose banjo hits lower arm, I painted what I would have to cut out of the arm to stop the interference with white paint. If you turn right, the new steering arm bolt hits the tabs for the sway bar. Have I done something wrong?? Please ignore the rusted caliper, I left them on the front porch for a few days, and the sprinkler watered them...

Tommy J.

That's a known issue with some lower control arms.

I just trim the minimum and move on.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BODY STYLE CALIPERS: ROTORS: PROPORATING VALVE: OR BEARINGS, OTHER THAN A-BODY FACTORY PARTS
***** MUST READ !!!!!!!! DO NOT USE VALORE' OR ASPEN DISC BRAKE PARTS, THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR CAR TO HAVE WHAT IS CALLED "BUMP STEER" :glasses7:

Do you still have the slider calipers that came with the f/M/J rotors?

The banjo fitting is in a different place, and may solve your problem.

man,I feel. like a goof. I miss understood what kind of turning you're talking about. as mentioned above I have the slider calipers and my brake line comes in towards the middle of the body not towards the bottom like yours. sorry I couldn't help I wish I could have been more use.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BODY STYLE CALIPERS: ROTORS: PROPORATING VALVE: OR BEARINGS, OTHER THAN A-BODY FACTORY PARTS
***** MUST READ !!!!!!!! DO NOT USE VALORE' OR ASPEN DISC BRAKE PARTS, THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR CAR TO HAVE WHAT IS CALLED "BUMP STEER" :glasses7:

Was waiting for someone to say this......

They were rear hung on the charger, should I swap it to the front?

Tommy J.

If A-body calipers are front-hung, YES! (I do not have immediate access to an A-body, or I would check.)

And yes, it is much better to use the A/E-body knuckles instead of the later ones.

So what's FMJ in the post title?

Can you get some junkyard sliders and see?

73 & up b body spindles, calipers, and brackets are all the same as FMJ body cars. One of the charger spindles was damaged, so I pulled one off an 87 Dippy, same part. I am notching the lower arms to clear the banjo, and denting in one side of the sway bar tabs to clear the steering arm bolts. Not what I had in mind when I started this swap...

Tj

Hate to say it but anytime you mod something, you don't need to have anything "in mind". lol

-
Back