SOTP address (State Of The Parts ). oil filters

-

iScamp

Reaction score
Not necessarily bashing Ford, they made some cool cars. But, getting to the story... coworker buys Ford Performance oil filters for his 'stang. These are expensive filters and must be ordered. Can't get them at the local parts place. Put a new filter on his car. Drove around for a day. Noticed a small but persistent oil seep from the base of the filter. Filter was properly installed. Took it off to find the problem.
*rubber seal removed for better viewing*

The filter with the round holes was the one removed for the oil change. The one with the oval holes is the new one. Notice the crimp on the new filter. Some type of machine did that. He has to order another filter to see if that's how they're made now or it's manufacturing error. If it's an error, I'd think QA would see that?

ford oil filters.JPG

performance filter.JPG

Do I understand correctly that the bottom filter was also a Ford performance part ?

Seems like they may have switched vendors on him then

The "crimps" are there to hold the rubber gasket in place during shipping and installation- but if the gasket isn't seated properly or is forced out of position when the crimping process takes place, it's gonna be an issue as your buddy found out. I'd closely inspect the new one before accepting it, and take the old one along to show them when they ask you why. Heck, take the old style along, too; just to show them what you expected to get when you shelled out your hard-earned coin.

Yes, both are Ford Performance. Same part number and from the same online source. My coworker remarked, "one is pre-covid, the other is post-covid". I'm wondering if the dimples are intended to keep the seal in place.

The "crimps" are there to hold the rubber gasket in place during shipping and installation- but if the gasket isn't seated properly or is forced out of position when the crimping process takes place, it's gonna be an issue as your buddy found out. I'd closely inspect the new one before accepting it, and take the old one along to show them when they ask you why.
Yeh, I'm thinking the crimps were to hold the seal during manufacturing, shipping. I think it would be unnecessary from a properly made filter. I've never seen that crimping on any other filter. It does look intentional, not some random hits.

I worked in a Ford parts room for several months before going back to Mopar.
Ford isn't going to want to see or care about the filter. If you leave it with the dealer, they're just going to wait until your gone and pitch it. Especially if you didn't buy it from them.
From the looks of it, I'm guessing it's a CM-6731-FL1A?
The difference is likely because of a different FOD (Ford Outside Distributor) and not a functionality issue.
If I were guessing, I'd say it was a seal improperly installed or dirty surface area issue.
Honestly, unless he was running a higher oil pressure, or racing a Motorcraft filter would be plenty.

It is a CM-6731-FL1A. He is running a stock oil pump and it's a street car. He wants the best for his machine so, it gets what he perceives as the best. He's gonna take it up with the distributor.

It is a CM-6731-FL1A. He is running a stock oil pump and it's a street car. He wants the best for his machine so, it gets what he perceives as the best. He's gonna take it up with the distributor.
The problem is, those filters are really only meant for a few passes or maybe 6 to 10 hours, then their effectiveness is diminished.

I've always had great luck with the regular Motorcraft filters. People try to be fancy sometimes and it costs them.

I've always had great luck with the regular Motorcraft filters. People try to be fancy sometimes and it costs them.
I ran several Motorcrafts on my old Cherokee-the FL-1A (PH8A) fits any Mopar with clearance. The FL400S fits many FWD 2.2s and probably A-bodies.

Not on topic, but sort of because its parts related. I was in a pep Boys store in the Edelbrock section, I bought a chromed steel fuel line because my line into my carb has too much rubber IMO, and the salesman said "this is a discontinued part so you wont be able to return it...' I was like "ok" I get it home and its missing the banjo bolt...sucks so now I'm looking for that, however, what's up with Discontinued Edelbrock parts? The guy then babbled on about supply chain issues, so is it discontinued or is it supply chain?

Not on topic, but sort of because its parts related. I was in a pep Boys store in the Edelbrock section, I bought a chromed steel fuel line because my line into my carb has too much rubber IMO, and the salesman said "this is a discontinued part so you wont be able to return it...' I was like "ok" I get it home and its missing the banjo bolt...sucks so now I'm looking for that, however, what's up with Discontinued Edelbrock parts? The guy then babbled on about supply chain issues, so is it discontinued or is it supply chain?
All of the Pep Boys auto parts stores around here, did a huge clearance and closed up. A couple of months later, they reopened as Autozones. The Pep Boys tire and auto centers stayed open through all of that.
One of their techs told me that Autozone bought up Pep Boys and all of them would do the conversion.

ones in upstate simply just closed the sales floor and parts. just service now

Edelbrock #8089. Advance shows it in stock.

All of the Pep Boys auto parts stores around here, did a huge clearance and closed up. A couple of months later, they reopened as Autozones. The Pep Boys tire and auto centers stayed open through all of that.
One of their techs told me that Autozone bought up Pep Boys and all of them would do the conversion.
Carl Icahn owns Pep Boys. He's closed and sold off stores that lost money to whoever wanted them. Autozone and Advance bought some. Some are probably still empty.

Interesting. Pep Boys started in Philly I think, and I grew up an hour from Philly. I remember when Pep Boys was a downtown storefront with 2 bays in the back for doing tires...man, I'm not that old am I? LOL! it was in the 70s I was a kid but my parents would go in for tires when they needed them. Then I watched them move literally across the street and build a 6 bay shop, then they did the Super center thing late 90s early 2000s...I'm kinda of surprised they are going out. There was a time Id go there because Autozone never had anything in stock...Pep Boys usually had on the shelf whatever i was looking for. Now days, I order parts on line, wait for them to show up, but I have backup vehicles if one is down etc.

-
Back