Soul warming winter food......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
The wife made Albondigas for dinner tonight. It is one of those things that are just better in the winter. So what are some of your favorite "winter foods"? :coffee2:

Never had albondigas, but it looks good. I like to make chicken soup.

Breakfast = Hot Oat meal with raisins and a couple spoons full of Honey.
Lunch = B.A.T. Bacon lettuce and avocado sandwich and 1 2oz shot of Tequila
Dinner = Salmon when it's fresh and I can afford it, but a plate full of beans and corn bread will do as long as I cooked the beans and presoaked over night cooked with Ham yummy.

What in gods name is albondigas?? I love stew and dumplins
Kind of a Mexican soup, ground beef, rice, onion, carrots, celery, 1 egg, cilantro, salt & pepper, potato, pato sauce & water. If you would like the recipe let me know, I will have Ernie email it to you.

Mike, safe to assume you like avocados?? Ernie will often just slice one up and eat it along side whatever she is having.....

Kind of a Mexican soup, ground beef, rice, onion, carrots, celery, 1 egg, cilantro, salt & pepper, potato, pato sauce & water. If you would like the recipe let me know, I will have Ernie email it to you.

You do that!! Gonna get Lori onto a pot of that this weekend!! Sounds absolutely yummy!! Thanks Doug!

I like to cook even after hanging out in front of a 7 foot oven all day. The stuff that cooks all day is what gets me going when it's cold outside: Chili and corn bread ... beef stew and dinner rolls ... roast and veggies ...

And hot chocolate, one of the best things about cold weather. :-D

Mike, safe to assume you like avocados?? Ernie will often just slice one up and eat it along side whatever she is having.....
I have at least one every week if not 2 :D
I started this one from seed 1 1/2 years ago :colors: I dig it up and move it in every winter :coffee2:
Just 2 1/2 more years and I will have fruit :blob:

I just took this picture :glasses7:

Attachments

• Creeds 600 VLX 039.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 604
I like to cook even after hanging out in front of a 7 foot oven all day. The stuff that cooks all day is what gets me going when it's cold outside: Chili and corn bread ... beef stew and dinner rolls ... roast and veggies ...

roast and veggies yum!! know I am hungry and it's to late to eat again :protest:

What in gods name is albondigas?? I love stew and dumplins[/QUOT

I think 'albondigas' is the Spanish word for meatballs. It sounds like what Ernie makes is sopa de albondigas, which is a clear soup with small meatballs and the other ingredients Doug mentioned. I made a similar version last year, not as good as Ernie's I'm sure. It called for cumin which gave the meatballs a weird taste to me...next time no cumin.

A pot of chili is an obvious choice. So is spaghetti with meat sauce or italian sausage. Roast pork shoulder with potatoes au gratin, Chicken and dumplings.

A family favorite is a Garbanzo bean soup, adapted from what they make in Ybor city. Besides the beans, it has ham, smoked ham hock, Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo sausage, potatoes, and onions....really warms you up.
Clam chowder, either white or red...

Ernie has some chocolate from Mexico, I think it is unsweetened. Couple it with milk and some marshmallows.....

Venison Stew, Cheddar Beer Soup, or Chili, It snowed yesterday so I got out the dutch oven!!! Winter is here.

Hey Mike did you know that only 50% of avacado trees actually give fruit.

Venison Stew, Cheddar Beer Soup, or Chili, It snowed yesterday so I got out the dutch oven!!! Winter is here.

Now you guys might think I'm nuts here but I know a little bit about avocados. There are male and female avocado trees and of course 50% don't give fruit. My dad had a avocado tree in Palm Beach County, Florida, which didn't give fruit. He went to the extension service in West Palm and they told him to take a piece that tie wire and wrap it tightly around the trunk about 3 feet up from the ground. Believe it or not that changed the sex of the tree and provided him with avocados for years to come. I'm not bull shitting you.

Oh, by the way, I hate avocados.

After dinner of cornbread beans & fried potatoes, gotta have my hot chocolate with a shot of Bailey's...

chili,bean soup,beans and wienies,taco or chicken noodle soup,or griiled cheese and tomatoe soup.

Cheddar Beer Soup??? Oh please, you gotta tell me about that. Great tip on the avacado tree too!

Fried Potato's, Pinto Beans,boiled cabbage,corn bread.

I'm making pot roast with roasted yams, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery...with a loaf of homemade bread. YUMMY.

We had our first snow flakes today. :(

Well we usually make it with a little guiness, but I don't get it much anymore with the little ones.

usually start with Chicken Stock 1 box
Then water to cover the veggies.
we usually use 4-6 potatoes Brocolli (flowerets frozen bag)
1 big sweet onion
Garlic- the powder works fine to taste
2 Cans of guiness/ or other fairly stout beer. Liennies, Irish Red etc works
Velveta cheese usually a box that has been cubed to melt better
Sharp Cheddar like an 8 ounce shredded bag.
salt pepper to taste
you can add some tabasco but I prefer don't like it that way.

Put all the chicken stock and water in a pot and cook the veggies till they are about 3/4s done
Then melt the velveta, finally mix in the beer and the shredded cheese.
Oh and bacon is good in this too.

This makes alot so be prepared to share.

Well we usually make it with a little guiness, but I don't get it much anymore with the little ones.

usually start with Chicken Stock 1 box
Then water to cover the veggies.
we usually use 4-6 potatoes Brocolli (flowerets frozen bag)
1 big sweet onion
Garlic- the powder works fine to taste
2 Cans of guiness/ or other fairly stout beer. Liennies, Irish Red etc works
Velveta cheese usually a box that has been cubed to melt better
Sharp Cheddar like an 8 ounce shredded bag.
salt pepper to taste
you can add some tabasco but I prefer don't like it that way.

Put all the chicken stock and water in a pot and cook the veggies till they are about 3/4s done
Then melt the velveta, finally mix in the beer and the shredded cheese.
Oh and bacon is good in this too.

This makes alot so be prepared to share.
Thank you Sir.....anyone got a good Hungarian Goulash recipe??

-
Back