Soul warming winter food......

-
French toast and bacon on a cold morning rocks! Chili for lunch. As far as dinner is concerned it would have to be spiral cut smoked ham and cornbread. After dinner, hot buttered rum or hot chocolate with a shot of Rumple Minze hit's the spot. No wonder I'm fat.

I am a big Tamale fan.
My mom makes them every fall.

OP I am mexican and I have never heard of that stew you talk about lol.

Me either and i,m a regular at El Tejano restaraunt for barbacoa and menudo on weekends. On a cold day nothing beats a hot spicy bowl of Menudo. For Dinner its Meatloaf ,mashed taters and green beans and corn mixed together with lots of butter. Gotta have a couple pans of the cheap biscuits with it too. ****, now i,m off to raid the frig.

I am a big Tamale fan.
My mom makes them every fall.

OP I am mexican and I have never heard of that stew you talk about lol.
We have to steam the rest of the tamales that are in the freezer, Ernestina likes making them over the Holidays. My father in law is from Oaxaco, most of his family still lives there. This is not Ernestinas way of making it but........http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/albondigas_soup/...

Potato-Bacon Chowder

One large chopped Vidalia Onion
6 Large diced Potatoes
4 Cloves Fresh Minced Garlic
2 Pounds bacon, cooked Crisp and Broken Up
2 Packages Frozen White Kernel Corn (small boxed frozen)
1 TBSP Granulated Garlic
2 Cups Half & Half
Liquid Smoke
Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste

Boil up the onion and garlic 'til transparent....Add potatoes, corn and broken bacon....Season as you cook, adding a bit of "liquid smoke" toward the end (when potatoes are cooked).......When simmered to your liking, add half & half and finish seasoning to taste, and serve. (and serve, and serve.......):blob:

If you like French Toast, try making it with cinnamon raisin bread -mmmmmmmmm!

I use cinnamon and vanilla in my french toast but never tried the cinnamon raisin bread trick, that's sounds good.... :blob:

take your french toast after dipping in egg mixture and then dip it into captaian crunch push down a little to get the cereal to stick to both sides and than griddle it.

i can post a hungarin goulash recipe tomorrow morning, and i also have a good beer cheese soup recipe.

The wife made Albondigas for dinner tonight. It is one of those things that are just better in the winter. So what are some of your favorite "winter foods"? :coffee2:

Does Ernie put mint in her meatballs? What about rice? Are the meatballs kinda small? You're lucky your wife is such a good cook.

goulash. 4 slices bacon,2 medium onions sliced,1 to 11/2 tablespoons hungarian paprika mild or hot your taste,2 lbs chuck,blade,boneless potroast 1"cube,1 tablespoon salt,1 teaspoon caraway seeds,1 green pepper sliced,1 tomatoe sliced,2 cloves garlic minced,4 small potatoes pared and quartered,1lb wide egg noodles,green pepper rings for garnish.brown bacon in 5 qt dutch oven or heavy pot with tight fitting lid.remove bacon and brown onion in until transparent.remove pot from heatstir in paprika,add the beef,salt,carawayseeds,crumbled bacon,and half of the green pepper and half of the tomatoe.return to heat cover tightly,simmer over low heat,stirring occasionally and adding small amounts of water as needed to keep from drying out.cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.add garlic,potatoes,the other half of the green pepper and tomatoe.add enough water to completly cover the meat and vegatables.bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.in the last 10 minutes add the noodles. serve garnished with green pepper rings.

beer cheese soup. 1/2 stick unsalted butter,1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks white and pale green parts only about to mediun sized cut and cleaned full of sand,2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic, 1 bay leaf,1/2 cup all purpose flour,3 cups whole milk room temp, 2 cups chicken stock low sodium,1 bottle of amber beer your choice [berghoff], 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce,1 teaspoon mustard powder,1/4 teaspoon kosher salt,1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper,2 cups freshly shredded chedder cheese[mild or sharp or half and half]. 2 cups freshly shredded swiss cheese,freshly popped popcorn for crutons. heat butter in a 8 to 10 qt stock pot over medium heat.add leeks,garlic,bay leaf cook stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender about 6 minutes.decrease heat to medium low sprinkle the flour all over and cook 3 minutes, stirring often.slowly whisk in the milk 1 cup at a time, and cook whisking until smooth and fully thickened[it takes some time to thicken so dont rush].slowley add the broth and beer whisking constantley until fully incorparated.bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, whisking occasionaly from the bottom to prevent sticking and burning.remove and discard bay leaf.stir in the worcestershire,mustard,salt,and pepper.add the cheese by handful stirring constantly. cook over medium heat without boiling until cheese is melted,3 to 4 minutes.keep warm until ready to serve. stir well before serving and top with popcorn as needed. to reheat in microwave on medium power or on stove top .

goulash. 4 slices bacon,2 medium onions sliced,1 to 11/2 tablespoons hungarian paprika mild or hot your taste,2 lbs chuck,blade,boneless potroast 1"cube,1 tablespoon salt,1 teaspoon caraway seeds,1 green pepper sliced,1 tomatoe sliced,2 cloves garlic minced,4 small potatoes pared and quartered,1lb wide egg noodles,green pepper rings for garnish.brown bacon in 5 qt dutch oven or heavy pot with tight fitting lid.remove bacon and brown onion in until transparent.remove pot from heatstir in paprika,add the beef,salt,carawayseeds,crumbled bacon,and half of the green pepper and half of the tomatoe.return to heat cover tightly,simmer over low heat,stirring occasionally and adding small amounts of water as needed to keep from drying out.cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.add garlic,potatoes,the other half of the green pepper and tomatoe.add enough water to completly cover the meat and vegatables.bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.in the last 10 minutes add the noodles. serve garnished with green pepper rings.

Even though it's not winter it's a rainy day and I'm the mood for some goulash, thanks for your recipe, it smells delicious I'm sure it will turn out great!

The wife made Albondigas for dinner tonight. It is one of those things that are just better in the winter. So what are some of your favorite "winter foods"? :coffee2:

I love my wifes chicken n dumplings, i also love her chicken tortilla soup w extra cheese.

I love my wifes chicken n dumplings, i also love her chicken tortilla soup w extra cheese.

Chicken tortilla soup? Think you might be able to get the Mrs. to share ? Soon as our weather cools off some we will be trying the goulash recipe that someone posted.

Near about any chowder, but my grandmother's clam chowder was absolutely the best. She passed years ago and although she shared her recipes I do honestly think she left some secret love out of them because everything ever made from her recipes is just not as good.

My father grew up pretty poor so they used a lot of beans, cabbage, hardly any meat but I tell you I am a big meat eater but when she would cook you didn't miss it.

Chicken tortilla soup? Think you might be able to get the Mrs. to share ? Soon as our weather cools off some we will be trying the goulash recipe that someone posted.

i will ask her to write it down and i will post it up here soon. she has 2 recipies for this, and 2 recipies for the chicken n dumplings, i prefer the recipe for the chicken n dumplings in the crock pot.

the goulash sounds really good. i may have to try that one as well.

anybody ever try some of the recipes people post on pinterest. my wife is a pinterist junkie, so we try lots of different food recipies, usually with mixed results some good , some bad, some well its ok results.

the one thing i miss that was comfort food to me when i was growing up and is very simplistic was the cheap store brand mac n cheese with the powdered cheese, with steamed hot dogs cut up into little pieces in it. sometimes i will have mac n cheese with chopped up hot dogs in it to remeber those days gone by as a kid.

i will ask her to write it down and i will post it up here soon. she has 2 recipies for this, and 2 recipies for the chicken n dumplings, i prefer the recipe for the chicken n dumplings in the crock pot.

the goulash sounds really good. i may have to try that one as well.

anybody ever try some of the recipes people post on pinterest. my wife is a pinterist junkie, so we try lots of different food recipies, usually with mixed results some good , some bad, some well its ok results.

Pinterest?? Any recipes the Mrs. is willing to part with would be appreciated....

-
Back