source for 8.75 inner axle seal?

-

jefframin

http://www.jefframin.org
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Replacing inner axle seal on my '68 Barracuda. Finding a replacement at the usual auto parts web sites has been frustrating...

Anybody have a part number or vendor? Thanks.

I ended up finding one at a national chain - had to call them to specify what I was looking for.

Anyway - can folks explain why these fail? I'd rather not have to do this again, so I'd like to know if I did something wrong the last time I installed one (it was leak free for about 4000 miles).

Thanks.

I you are using the original taper bearings that use the right side axle adjuster? If you don't have the axle end play adjusted correctly, It allows the axle to move up and down excessively causing the axle seal to fail. Also the seal surface of the axle has to be in good shape, no groves.

Is this ever much of an issue with the "green bearings"? Sorry off topic, I found em at local parts store.

I you are using the original taper bearings that use the right side axle adjuster? If you don't have the axle end play adjusted correctly, It allows the axle to move up and down excessively causing the axle seal to fail. Also the seal surface of the axle has to be in good shape, no groves.

Indeed, I am using tapered bearings and the play adjuster. Is there a rule of thumb (or actual measurement) for determining what is tight, but not too tight?

One other question - what is the torque spec for the axle flange nuts?

Thanks everybody.

Manual calls for .008 -.018 end play with a dial indicator mounted on the left axle. I have always installed them so there was very little end play and have never had an issue.

Manual calls for .008 -.018 end play with a dial indicator mounted on the left axle. I have always installed them so there was very little end play and have never had an issue.

Thanks.

I read the shop manual and it has instructions. However, I'm kind of with you - as long as the axle turns freely, why wouldn't you want as little play as possible?

That's the way I've done it since Moby Dick was a minnow! No problems yet.
Thanks.

I read the shop manual and it has instructions. However, I'm kind of with you - as long as the axle turns freely, why wouldn't you want as little play as possible?

-
Back