Source for Steering Knuckle Seals

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I posted this question on the Members Restorations forum and didn't get any takers, so I thought I'd ask it here too. I want to replace the white foam dust seals that are sandwiched between the steering knuckle and the front drum brake backing plate on my 71 Dart project. I have not been able to scare up a source for them anywhere online. I am thinking about trying to fabricate my own from sheet foam material if I can find a suitable material. Has anyone here done this? Where did you find the material to cut them from? Anyone know of a source for a ready-made seal? Any help here would be appreciated. TIA!

Jim

Ask your shipping department at work. I've used thin white foam that did the job. Like this but even thinner. Good luck.

Foam.jpg

I bought a seal kit for my 68 Dart and templated all the foam gaskets and cut up another set to have on hand.

Ask your shipping department at work. I've used thin white foam that did the job. Like this but even thinner. Good luck.

View attachment 1716107124
Great idea, but I'm retired so that won't work. I did check the local big box home improvement stores and they sell some foam pouches for packing dishes that look like they might work. Probably for less than the cost of a gasket too! Gonna go get some later today! Thanks for the tip!

I use construction sill gskt material, cut to fit .
Visit a home in early stages of build, should be some laying around, or ask, I have a bunch left over from my shop build .

I got some packing foam sheets the other day from HD. It worked well because I needed to wrap all my newly cleaned and repainted components! One of the two seals was still in reasonable good shape. I used the old seal to draw up a template from a manila file folder. I used the template to trace out a new seal gasket on the foam and cut it out. I think it turned out pretty damn good! Thanks to all who responded! L8r

Jim

Spindle seal.jpg

-
Back