South Florida FABO Brake mechanic needed!

-

barnyardbarney

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Duster I am having problems with the power brakes. Is there any FABO guys out there in South Broward County that can help. I am stumped and I am only willing to take this car to someone that knows these cars and cares about them. I suspect Booster or vacumn issue, but just want this issue resolved so I can start driving this car. Thanks any feedback or PM would be great.

What kind of problem.....what are the brakes doing ?

I have bled them alot, they work but not like they should and when stepped on a second time in a short period of time, not as effective.

If you hold your foot on the brake pedal, does it bleed down? Is the master cylinder new or rebuilt ?

I just purchased the car 3 months ago and was told it was rebuilt and when I bleed the brakes the pedal goes down.

How does the pedal feel if you hold your foot on it with the bleeders closed? If it drops down, I would blame the master.

Rebuilt ones don't have a good reputation. Many of them are bad right outta the box.

Also, have you pulled all the wheels to inspect everything.

pedal stays hard, Everything looks great. The car beyond the brake issue is in fabulous condition, 76k only on car. No rust ever.

Hi Barnyardbarney,I was in Boca Raton about a week ago,if you posted earlier I would have come and taken a look. Don't take offence but did you start the brake bleed from the furthest bleeder?How is the adjustment on the rears.I agree with 6pk2goDemon.New is the way to go on the master. Also do you have a high lift cam? I had my booster rebuilt on my 72 Duster but it made little difference on the braking,due to my cam.

Yes started from furthest, also have moderate high lift cam. I will be pulling off rear brake drums this weekend to check. The master was rebuilt by other owner to keep car original.

Checked rear brakes, they look fine. On front disc brakes do the wheel cylinder bleeders angle inward or outward, I have read about people putting the calipers on the wrong sides.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I'll be watching closely to see what happens. I have a 71 Barracuda with non-power disc up front. I recently replaced the back brakes using new wheel cylinders and I'm having the exact same problem.

I can bleed the brakes starting with the right rear and all the air is gone. But let it sit for 10 minutes or drive it 100 feet and the pedal goes to the floor. Pull it back in the garage, the first squirt is always full of air then after that I get a nice firm pedal until it sits for another ten minutes. This is driving me batty!!

Anyway, so back in my hole to watch for the solution.

-
Back