Sox / Martin 66 Cuda

-

lack arnew

Reaction score
Still trying, ,after many years, to locate the S/M 66 altered wheel base Cuda. Any info at all would help. Thanks Jack

2622ayo8.jpg

Download them off the internet. They are higher resolution than the photos here.

Here you go, one of a kind custom artwork...only $250 per copy. (or free if you just download the image)

5C4AED80-2CFC-41A8-8F60-0DC6F660DE62.jpeg

I hope you can find it, that was a long time ago. I have seen 1 or 2 different cars that looked a lot like the car. They sold cars often.
Skootin Cuda 3.jpg
Skootin Cuda 2.jpg

I have Dean on Facebook. I'll ask him about it.

The car wasn’t a Sox and Martin original. It was a Plymouth division altered wheel base race chassis Barracuda that many teams bought and ran. It was available to any team that wanted to buy it.

Sox and Marting were just among the best to run it.

If you get some car magazines from that time period you will see that a number of people ran cars like that. And you will also see that they're all built a little differently from each other, I don't think there were any factory built cars in '66.

I picked up several copies of a magazine called Drag Strip that were from '66 and '67. They had articles on the build of a lot of these cars as well as coverage of events that showed a bunch of them running, partially divided up by fuel and weight. Some of the coverage showed all of the cars pictured in this thread being at the same event.

The cars would evolve as the race season went along. The S&M car started as an almost stock wheelbase and got stretched for more stability when they were going faster later in the year.

The first weekend they came out with stretched front end I was with Bud Schelenberger with his stretcher Ranchero. They were match racing and Sox won 3 straight. The Cuda front fenders and hood had no paint and raw fiberglass was showing between the front end paint and the doors.This was the first week out with new wheel base. Don't remember if the read was moved forward as yet. I have followed the car thru 3 owners but that it so far, as last known owner (POP WHITT) from Va. has passed away, and I am unable to locate any of his racing partners, or family.
Beginning to think the car was cut up so bad it was junked, but don't know for sure. Banning car is a bit different in design. I have talked to the owner .

-
Back